Looking for: Pocket Criminal Code 2023, Thomson Reuters

bluestblue

bluestblue
  • Law School Admit

Hey, I am at Vancouver. Need this book for exams this year and really do not want to pay 87 bucks for a latest copy... Thanks in advance!

Edited by bluestblue

Patient0L
  • Law Student
22 hours ago, bluestblue said:

Hey, I am at Vancouver. Need this book for exams this year and really do not want to pay 87 bucks for a latest copy... Thanks in advance!

If you spend $87 on the 2024 now, and sell it to a 1L next year for $50, you actually come out better than buying a 2023 for $50 now, then recycling it next year.

• Like 2

bluestblue
  • Law School Admit
2 hours ago, Patient0L said:

If you spend $87 on the 2024 now, and sell it to a 1L next year for $50, you actually come out better than buying a 2023 for $50 now, then recycling it next year.

Aha, that sounds good actually! Thanks mate.

• Like 1

Patient0L
  • Law Student
19 hours ago, bluestblue said:

Aha, that sounds good actually! Thanks mate.

No prob! And you can use that $13 you saved to buy a sausage roll from the Law Café.

bluestblue
  • Law School Admit
10 hours ago, Patient0L said:

No prob! And you can use that $13 you saved to buy a sausage roll from the Law Café.

Haha, I did not know the Law Café is that overpriced!!

• 4 weeks later...
SNAILS
  • Articling Student

I would never buy a Pocket Criminal Code. Why?

Martin Criminal Code (the big version) has the annotations. Annotations are worth their weight in gold. A 2022/2021 if fine as long as you are aware to check if anything has changed.

If you want just the statute, you can get it free online.

Patient0L
  • Law Student
11 hours ago, SNAILS said:

I would never buy a Pocket Criminal Code. Why?

Martin Criminal Code (the big version) has the annotations. Annotations are worth their weight in gold. A 2022/2021 if fine as long as you are aware to check if anything has changed.

If you want just the statute, you can get it free online.

Can’t bring the annotated one into the exam. Nor the internet. 

• Like 2

SNAILS
  • Articling Student
On 10/9/2023 at 8:02 PM, Patient0L said:

Can’t bring the annotated one into the exam. Nor the internet. 

What a strange rule, but OK. I wonder, do they let you bring a summary ("can") to the exam?

In any case, you have the option to bring a .pdf version if you can have a laptop (without internet).

Phaedrus
  • Lawyer
On 10/15/2023 at 4:27 AM, SNAILS said:

In any case, you have the option to bring a .pdf version if you can have a laptop (without internet).

Maybe you went to the same school and know something I don't. I thought most schools have students use exam writing software that locks users into the program, full screen, and out of everything else until the exam is submitted (e.g., Exam4). If that's the case, you won't be able to use PDFs. 

• Like 1

SNAILS
  • Articling Student
On 10/16/2023 at 7:38 AM, Phaedrus said:

Maybe you went to the same school and know something I don't. I thought most schools have students use exam writing software that locks users into the program, full screen, and out of everything else until the exam is submitted (e.g., Exam4). If that's the case, you won't be able to use PDFs. 

Professors can allow or not allow the students any of the following:

• bring a textbook to an exam (only one professor ever said no)
  • bring a printed summary ("can") or your own class notes (Only one professor ever said no)
  • have other documents open on a laptop while writing an exam with the special Examsoft software (over half of professors allowed .pdf and word files to be open)
  • use of the internet (no professor allowed this during a final)
  • Use the "search" feature (most professors disabled this)
  • Use cut and paste (I think all professors disabled this)
  • There may be other options.

In summary, I think allowing an annotated Criminal Code ought to be allowed wherever a summary ("can") is allowed. Professors may disagree.

I would actually welcome the use of fully closed book, supervised final exams since I feel I would do relatively better on exams to other students who rely overly on thier summaries.

Patient0L
  • Law Student
On 10/15/2023 at 12:27 AM, SNAILS said:

What a strange rule, but OK. I wonder, do they let you bring a summary ("can") to the exam?

Depends on the prof I guess. Our crim prof was very specific, no annotated code + only YOUR can. Upper year or other students' cans were not ok. (Tho, I don't know how he would really be able to tell...) I have also heard "no legal dictionaries" from other profs. It just seems like some want only their class materials and nothing else. 

Also, I think that our crim prof really wanted to test that we have been paying attention to judicial treatement of legistlation. The regular crim code cannot be taken at face value (which is actually a pretty serious access to justice / rule of law issue IMO)—partially struck down statutes, read in higher mens rea... etc. I am guessing that was the reason for the restriction.