Medical Condition Explanation in Personal Statement

Jean-Ralphio Saperstein

Jean-Ralphio Saperstein
  • Law Student

Hi everyone,

I'm roughly crafting a tentative personal statement and I'm wondering how I should mention a painful medical condition I had that contributed to bad grades in my first year of undergrad. It was really personal (and kind of gross) so I don't want to mention it by name or in detail. Any ideas? 

Thrive92
  • Applicant

If you are really uncomfortable mentioning it by name or its details in your PS, then I think it may be best to briefly describe the situation (ex: "A medical condition which severely disrupted my first year courses is no longer an issue, as seen by my grades after that year" or something like that).

However, if you are going to provide a medical note or a doctor's diagnosis, they are going to know the medical condition regardless. Perhaps you may like to expand on it (unless you are really uncomfortable by it of course, then you shouldn't).

CleanHands
  • Lawyer

With the caveat that I've never been involved with admissions, I'm strongly of the view that if you are considering claiming that a medical issue impacted your grades you have to disclose details or not mention it at all. Schools require medical documentation for access claims based on these issues for a reason. If anyone could assert such things in vague terms to explain away bad grades and this were to be accepted, it would be too easy to "game" and unfair to people with legitimate claims.

I'm sorry that this causes you discomfort but that's just how these things work in practical terms. It's a cost of receiving consideration of such issues that you have to explain them. Whether you're willing to do this is your choice to make.

• Like 3