Unconventional Path: 2.2 GPA, 174 LSAT - Access Category Insights Needed

TheSmartDumbo11

TheSmartDumbo11
  • Applicant

Choosing law wasn’t my original path. To be honest, I started off with dreams of medicine. But the more I got exposed to the policies in healthcare, the clearer it became: I see myself as a healthcare lawyer. As for the LSAT, I'm still in the practice phase. But here's a silver lining: my diagnostic was 166 and, in just a few weeks of light-moderate practice, I’ve been consistently hitting 170+ with an average of 174. Impressive, right? Especially given my rocky undergrad journey.

Diving deep into a double major in Philosophy and Evolutionary Population Genetics might sound intense. And it was, especially when battling undiagnosed ADHD. It wasn’t until halfway through that the pieces started to fit – I was diagnosed. But the meds? Those came in even later, post-undergrad. Throw in my personal challenges, including a traumatic period of domestic violence that sent me spiralling into severe depression, and the academic picture gets a bit messy. Out of 12 failed courses, 11 were during this rough patch. I was trying, I promise. But sometimes, life’s curveballs just kept coming. Thankfully, as I sought treatment, the ADHD diagnosis came to light, and things started making sense. The academic accommodations were a godsend. I even secured 5 LORs from some of the top minds, and honestly, looking back, I'm kind of amazed at how far I’ve come from where I started.

STATS

b20 (TMU), OLSAS to TMU scale: 4.0. But just on the TMU scale I think a? 3.67.

L2/B2: 3.2 [Y4 (S1:S2 = 3.32, 3.84) = 3.6, Y5 (S1:S2 = 2.54, 3.00) = 2.8] general

The Lincoln Alexander School of Law is on my radar. They have this tech and business focus, and if you knew how much I loved coding, you’d get why this is a big deal. I've poured hours into self-teaching programming, AI, data science – all fueled by my philosophy passion.

I'm also mulling over Osgoode, Queens, Windsor, UofA, and Western. But with my GPA journey (12 F's, remember?), I’m a tad nervous. I mean, the blend of Philosophy and EPG was... let's say, unique.

Got any thoughts? Maybe other schools to consider? I've heard U.S. schools might be a bit more forgiving with the GPA if the LSAT scores shine, but the price tag’s a tad steep.

Thanks for taking the time to read my story. All insights are gold.

Edited by TheSmartDumbo11

• TheSmartDumbo11 changed the title to Unconventional Path: 2.2 GPA, 174 LSAT - Access Category Insights Needed
JMA663
  • Applicant

Your practice LSAT scores are really great, congrats!

I think there are a few things you can do to improve your chances overall and to compensate for the lower GPA. First off, I would 100% recommend applying as a discretionary candidate. You've obviously been through a lot and your undergrad marks do not adequately reflect your abilities. Make sure to provide documentation where you can. Especially for the ADHD diagnosis and for any mental health struggles you've had. The personal statement is also going to be BIG for you so spend some time on it. Law schools are looking for 'sure bets' so I would make sure you are controlling the narrative. Point to the LSAT as evidence of your current academic abilities, and if you've consistently held a job or volunteer position I would bring that up too as it will show a level of stability that is not evident in your grades. If you can advise your references to speak to that same sort of thing: growth, stability, work ethic, and perseverance, this will really drive the point home. Again, like you've said, you have come really far and it's all about showing the law schools that you are not defined by your difficult history. When possible, I would also explain why you might be a better candidate because of your history. Hardship builds character and I think the admissions committees will respond to this if done well.

I think your schools of choice are pretty solid. I'd throw Dalhousie in there as well since they are also pretty holistic. Regardless, I would recommend applying to LOTS of schools since you are definitely a wild card candidate. All you need is for one law school to see your potential. 

(And worst case, if you don't have luck with this cycle and you are still really set on law school, I would go out into the workforce and return in a few years. Mature candidates are offered more forgiveness for GPAs).

• Like 1

TheSmartDumbo11
  • Applicant

Thank you so much for your insightful response. It's funny how sometimes a fresh perspective can illuminate things you hadn't considered. Highlighting stability alongside my academic and personal evolution hadn't crossed my mind, but now that you mention it, it makes so much sense. These last few years have been a journey of growth and transformation, and it's not just about overcoming challenges, but about how I've established and maintained a steady trajectory once those initial hurdles were cleared.

I'm particularly intrigued by your suggestion of Dalhousie. I hadn't deeply looked into it, but I'll definitely dive into researching their program and ethos more closely. Their holistic approach might align well with my background and story.

Your suggestion of framing my journey struck a chord with me. My background in evolutionary population genetics and philosophy naturally points to a narrative of "evolution." An evolution not just of knowledge or skills, but of character, resilience, and perspective. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this angle. Do you think it would resonate with admissions committees?

Lastly, the idea of controlling the narrative resonates deeply. Everyone has a story, but it's about how you tell it that makes all the difference. Your feedback has given me some new angles and approaches to consider as I refine that story. Have you come across any personal statements or narratives that particularly stood out to you in their approach or theme? Always keen to understand what works and what resonates.

Again, I can't express enough gratitude for your thorough feedback!

JMA663
  • Applicant

Glad I could help! A lot of my advice actually comes from this archived info session: https://www.dal.ca/faculty/law/admissions/jd-admissions/InfoSessionArchive.html. Worth a watch for sure, whether or not you end up being interested in the Schulich School of Law. These sorts of things tend to clarify the POV of the admissions advisors and they've really helped me fine-tune my own application. It's ALL about research. You can only spin your narrative effectively if you know your audience.

As for your personal statement, I think that your history in population genetics and evolutionary philosophy is very unique so it won't hurt to point it out. As you mentioned, there is a tie-in with your personal history there, so it could be used as a framing device for your narrative, which is cool, but I think it could seem distracting if done incorrectly. Honestly, I wouldn't spend too much time on it unless you are going to link it to a specific field of law you plan to practice. 

In terms of sample personal statements I've liked... A lot of them have just shown me what NOT to do. Most of them use the same language over and over again, with SO much posturing that seems incredibly inauthentic. As you said, everyone has a story and a reason for ending up in the application process for law school. No one's journey is the exact same but so many of these statements blur together. My favourite statements have a distinct voice and personality and really ring true (they don't feel put on for an admissions committee). One of the best ones I've ever read was about someone's childhood split between America and Taiwan, intertwined with seminal moments during their undergrad (lit degree) as they realized the power narrative held in their own historical reconciliation. It's the third one on this site. https://7sage.com/law-school-ps-examples/ 

BUT tread carefully. Some law schools (U of T, UBC, U Ottawa, etc.) have very rigid pre-set questions and very limited word counts. Tailor each personal statement to the vibe of each university (and their areas of specialization). And if you are not a strong creative writer, STAY AWAY from dramatic prose. 

Anyway, really take my advice with a grain of salt. I've done a lot of research but I am an applicant just like you. I haven't gotten in anywhere yet either, but fingers crossed.