Looking for Input on Reference Letters, Application Timeline, and LSAT Retake.

AlephBetVet

AlephBetVet
  • Applicant

Hi there, I am looking for some input about application timelines, reference letters, and taking the LSAT again.

I’m currently in my 4th year of undergrad, with a CGPA/B3 of 3.86 on OLSAS. I just took my LSAT for the first time last week, and while I PT’d 169 twice the week of my test, I think my official take wasn’t as good. Realistically I think my gut says it'll be about 163, if not lower, and only optimistically a 164 or above. Of course, I won’t know until end of September. I would like to get in at UBC, Oz, Dal at the very least, and know UofT is really hard unless scores are super high. 

As well, applications are due for Ontario Nov. 1st. My questions are this: In this month where I am stuck in limbo, should I ask for reference letters? What if they say yes and begin working on them and then my LSAT score comes back bad and I won’t apply this cycle? I have 2 profs I want to ask who I know will say yes, but don’t want to be inconsistent. Also, should I sign up for January LSAT regardless of what I'm thinking so that I have the option? I would start studying for it around Nov. if I need to do it/signed up and want to take it. Currently leaning towards doing this regardless since I do believe I probably have a better LSAT take within me. 

I will already be drafting PS and other app. Materials this month, so really just need some input on what else I should and shouldn’t get done/started on while I wait for LSAT score. 

Thank you very much. 

WiseGhost
  • Law Student

If you choose to reapply next year, you can ask profs for references again -- they may more or less copy paste the letter they wrote the first time, but that is not a significant issue. Your GPA is strong enough that you will probably get into Oz this cycle even with a 163. 

• Like 1

AlephBetVet
  • Applicant
22 minutes ago, WiseGhost said:

If you choose to reapply next year, you can ask profs for references again -- they may more or less copy paste the letter they wrote the first time, but that is not a significant issue. Your GPA is strong enough that you will probably get into Oz this cycle even with a 163. 

Thanks so much for this response. This is also the advice an academic advisor gave me re:reference letters. They’re using cookie cutter templates anyways so it’s not a huge deal if needed.

They also recommended asking the profs now for a yes or no, but indicating it’s best to wait until score release to begin, and indicate after whether or not they should begin work on it or that i will reach out in the future. Just sharing this in case someone in the future finds this thread looking for similar information.

• Like 1