PhD Candidate, foreign llb holder 2.8 gpa, lsat diagnostic 153

Saj

I graduated with an LLB (Hons) from University of London in 2011 with 3rd class honors, translates to roughly 2.8 GPA. 5 years foreign work experience followed by MA Anthropology GPA 3.89, currently finishing my PhD in Anthropology GPA 3.78, specialty is legal and medical anthropology.

I want to practise in Canada but have no hope from NCA as they have rejected degrees with low grades in LLB and not much practise experience. I do have exceptional first year grades, 2 1sts, but bad grades in the last 2 years due to hard personal circumstances. Can someone please tell me what my chances are if I apply? Does my PhD mitigate previous GPA? I really want to be able to practise, is there any other route to practise? 

No one is going to be able to give you a real assessment of your chances aside from “probably very low”.  Your circumstances are so unique that there’s nothing to compare them to. 

Curious: why do you want to practise law when you have been studying anthropology all the way to PhD levels? It seems like a strange shift in goals. 

I am a legal anthropologist and have been semi-practising alongside my phd i.e consultations, making opinions, helping on law drafting committees in my home country. Specialty is human rights and my entire phd is about transgender rights laws. I am moving to canada and want to be able to practise, not happy being just an academic. Thank you for your reply tho even I am unable to assess my own chances because my situation does seem unique, I dont seem to fit the mature category or even access after a point tho my circumstances did hinder my scores on first llb. 

• Like 1