Admission question

Squeen

Squeen
  • Applicant

I had a question, are the stats requirement typically different for out of province applicants? For instance, if I want to apply to law schools in ON but I do not reside in ON, do I need to have a higher stats than in-province applicants just to be considered by the admission?

Any thoughts?

Edited by Squeen

Thrive92
  • Applicant

I highly doubt it. However, at least one law school in Canada gives a "slight" preference to those living within the same province as the school (University of Saskatchewan). I am not too sure about how this works (its called "saskatchewan connection"), but if the applicant, applicant's family members, or other close people to the applicant is currently or has at one point resided, or studied in the province, this preference would apply. Again, I do not know much about this preference, so please do not quote me on this.

Even then, this preference is not dependent on grades or the lsat score.

• Like 1

99problems
  • Lawyer

No.

I know many people who have applied from out of the country. They had to apply to WES to receive equivalent grades in the Canadian system (e.g. grades from 0-20 with 10 being the passing mark). But still, they didn't have an issue getting into law school.

It would render the whole process unfair. And, if something like that is actually in effect, there is a notice of that. For example, when applying to some courts for clerkship, preference is given to Canadian citizens, and you can find this information in their websites.

Also, I think you are overthinking it. You are in the applying stage, so your stats are largely unchangeable. So even if, as an out-of-province applicant, you need higher stats (you don't), you should still apply, provided that the application fee is reasonable to you.

PlayALawyerOnTV
  • Law Student

Residency isn't much of a factor for Ontario schools. 

It does come into play for other regional schools however (Saskatchewan, Manitoba, UNB, Dal, etc). Even then having a connection to the region isn't the be all and end all, but it can give a bit of a leg up to certain applicants.