Chance me? (Alberta/BC/Ontario Schools)

CndnViking

CndnViking
  • Applicant

Hey all,

So just a quick explanation: I'm trying to figure out which schools are worth applying to. If time and money were no issue I'd apply everywhere and just see what happens, but since they very much are, I'm feeling a bit lost. I currently live in Calgary so that would be the "easy" choice, but part of me feels like this would be a good opportunity to get out and explore somewhere else, so I'm also looking at U of Alberta, as well as schools in BC and Ontario. (I have zero interest in living in Sask or Manitoba, and I'm not billingual which puts McGill and Quebec out of reach.)

I'm aware of the advice to check for areas of specialization for the schools and to study where you plan to practice, but my field interests are pretty broad and I don't feel any particular attachment to practicing anywhere specific yet, so neither of those has helped much, aside from the ones I've already weeded out.

So that said, I'd love to get some perspectives on where people think I'd have good chances. Thanks.

GPA
Cumulative: 3.76 (weighed down by a few really bad marks from a long time ago)
Last 2 Years / Best Continuous 2 Year Period: 3.9
Last 60 Creds: 3.91
Best 3 Years: 3.93
Best 2 Independent Years: 3.947 
UBC's Percentage System: 82.8% according to their calculator

LSAT
I write officially in October, but my practice tests are hovering around 164-168

ECs
I don't know if recency matters, as a lot of these are tied to my time in school and thus are a couple years old but....
-14 years work experience (though nothing directly relating to law or particularly impressive)
-3+ years on governing board of Student's Association
-Membership on a bunch of university committees and groups
-Summer internship with the Alberta Human Right's Commission
-A bit of volunteer experience, but not a ton

Statements/Essays
If anything, this is what I'm worried about, as I have difficulty with the low word counts, and am getting VERY conflicting advice on these.

Other Considerations
For schools with special categories, I can qualify under mature student status, as well as financial disadvantages and disability categories.

Edited by CndnViking