No testing centers in Alberta????

CndnViking

CndnViking
  • Applicant

Soooo the Prometric site says there's a testing center in Calgary, but as I'm trying to book my test it doesn't show any such center as even existing (nor the one in Edmonton.) In fact, apparently the closest I can get an in-person testing location is VANCOUVER. This can't be right???

Has anybody taken one in Calgary recently, that can verify this place exists, and that they were able to book it?

Edited by CndnViking

• CndnViking changed the title to No testing centers in Alberta????
CndnViking
  • Applicant

POSSIBLE? Maybe, but I was on there within like 5 minutes of it opening, and the only center in all of western Canada that even came up is Vancouver, so at the very least that seems improbable (and highly problematic if they actually have that little capacity.)

Edited by CndnViking

CndnViking
  • Applicant

Update: Writing this at 6:02 Eastern. Saturday is now open. It still doesn't show any centers in western Canada except Vancouver.

Second update: I've called ProMetric 3 times, and it seems like all they know how to say is "it looks like there's no spots available, try when the next group opens" - when I point out they never had any open, even right when they were supposed to have opened in the first place, I was told I was being transferred to another department and hung up on.

I guess we Albertans just don't get to write the damned thing, unless we wanna go to Vancouver for the privelege.

Edited by CndnViking

tobi
  • Law School Admit

image.png.0fcd3cdf70a9c6ee22a614732b8be807.png

I know you're looking for* a Calgary spot but you just gotta look at random times and clear your cache. 

Edited by tobi

TheDevilIKnow
  • Articling Student

Is Montana still an option? I had to write in Havre, MT, but that's much closer than Vancouver, at least. Mind you, this was in the ancient before-times, when everyone wrote in person (2019), so I imagine there are fewer locations now. I recommend it highly if available, though. 5 people writing in a huge, sunny room on a quiet campus!

CndnViking
  • Applicant

Update: So I finally got more of an answer, if a kind of frustrating one. Apparently once a center is all booked up, it stops even showing up on the map, and the western Canada centers were only set to open up on the Friday. So apparently that 5 minutes or so it took me to get onto the system was enough to book them all up. How they offered so few spots for half of the country is beyond me, but I guess it is what it is.

I was checking pretty dilligently each time a set opened and the only options I was getting west of Manitoba were Vancouver and Seattle, so it seems they just weren't offering a whole lot of spaces much of anywhere.

That said, on my 6th or 7th call to Prometric I finally got someone who actually put in a bit of effort, and he was able to wedge me in to an appointment. I guess they must have had a cancellation or something.

13 hours ago, tobi said:

image.png.0fcd3cdf70a9c6ee22a614732b8be807.png

I know you're looking for* a Calgary spot but you just gotta look at random times and clear your cache. 

Oh, I did. Edmonton was the first thing I searched when Calgary wasn't coming up, and at the time there was nothing there either, and the Prometric "candidate service" folks told me that the centers in Alberta were only open on the Friday, so there would be no more opening up. I'm guessing this showing up means they changed their minds on Edmonton.

At the time, when I was checking as each set opened up, the only options I could find west of Manitoba were Vancouver and Seattle.

Edited by CndnViking

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
50 minutes ago, CndnViking said:

How they offered so few spots for half of the country is beyond me, but I guess it is what it is.

Well, it's half the country by land mass, but not by brain cells, so it kinda makes sense that they'd assume essentially no one between Vancouver and Ontario would want to write the LSAT. 

CndnViking
  • Applicant
Just now, BlockedQuebecois said:

Well, it's half the country by land mass, but not by brain cells, so it kinda makes sense that they'd assume essentially no one between Vancouver and Ontario would want to write the LSAT. 

Ah, CanadianTrollForum strikes again.

CndnViking
  • Applicant
Just now, BlockedQuebecois said:

Gosh you're sensitive, aren't you?

If your definition of "sensitive" is "capable of recognizing a troll, and finding them tiresome" then sure.

• Like 2

tobi
  • Law School Admit

2 hours ago, CndnViking said:

Update: So I finally got more of an answer, if a kind of frustrating one. Apparently once a center is all booked up, it stops even showing up on the map, and the western Canada centers were only set to open up on the Friday. So apparently that 5 minutes or so it took me to get onto the system was enough to book them all up. How they offered so few spots for half of the country is beyond me, but I guess it is what it is.

I was checking pretty dilligently each time a set opened and the only options I was getting west of Manitoba were Vancouver and Seattle, so it seems they just weren't offering a whole lot of spaces much of anywhere.

That said, on my 6th or 7th call to Prometric I finally got someone who actually put in a bit of effort, and he was able to wedge me in to an appointment. I guess they must have had a cancellation or something.

Oh, I did. Edmonton was the first thing I searched when Calgary wasn't coming up, and at the time there was nothing there either, and the Prometric "candidate service" folks told me that the centers in Alberta were only open on the Friday, so there would be no more opening up. I'm guessing this showing up means they changed their minds on Edmonton.

At the time, when I was checking as each set opened up, the only options I could find west of Manitoba were Vancouver and Seattle.

So, scheduling for in-person tests temporarily closed on 9/28 and reopened again on 9/30. If you were checking at that time, no spot was going to show up for you. I'm going to assume that during that time, that no spot was going to show up for Prometric/LSAC call-center staff too.

https://www.lsac.org/blog/october-lsat-scheduling here's where you can see that it was closed during that time.

Then, checking diligently messes up with your internet history/cache/cookies - that sort of thing, and you needed to check it by using an incognito window/private window where your browser sees the website with fresh eyes. 

CndnViking
  • Applicant
Just now, tobi said:

So, scheduling for in-person tests temporarily closed on 9/28 and reopened again on 9/30. If you were checking at that time, no spot was going to show up for you.

I wasn't looking that late. As I said in my initial comment, I was on within 5 minutes of the Friday spots opening (and then right at 6pm EST on the dot to check for the Saturday ones) and they already weren't there. Within an hour I was already speaking to ProMetric on the phone and being told nothing was available anywhere in Alberta.

As I said it looks like they just had so few spots that they were snatched up within that 5 minutes, which is insane IMO, but what can ya do?