Tuitions: UBC seems too good to be true?

CndnViking

CndnViking
  • Applicant

Hey all,

So I've been looking at tuition from some of the schools I'm thinking of applying to, and something doesn't seem right. I'm wondering if someone can help me figure out what I'm missing. (Note: all of these figures are right from the respective school's sites.

Each of these schools reports their 2023-24 1st year tuition and fees for at...

Toronto - 37,610.63
UBC - 14,980.32
Queen's - 21,094.10
Calgary - 17,528
Osgoode - 25,885.28

The relative positioning for Toronto, Osgoode, Calgary, etc. makes sense, but I can't figure out why a consistent 2nd/3rd ranked school in the country is marked so low. It feels like there's got to be a "catch" somewhere they're not mentioning or something. Anyone have any idea what I might be missing?

janeproc
  • Law Student

There's a tuition freeze for BC law schools. Uvic and UBC are affected. TRU is not because it was formed after the freeze was put in place.

It's a great program, but you may also want to consider the cost of living in Vancouver.

Edited by janeproc

CndnViking
  • Applicant
3 minutes ago, janeproc said:

There's a tuition freeze for BC law schools. Uvic and UBC are affected. TRU is not because it was formed after the freeze was put in place.

It's a great program, but you may also want to consider the cost of living in Vancouver.

Ah, that explains it. Thanks!

Oh yeah, trust me, as someone who has priced out moving there multiple times over the years, I'm aware of that aspect as well. I suppose it's a matter of weighing the extra cost in one area against the savings in another. Besides, it's not like a city like Toronto is a whole lot cheaper to live in.

Edited by CndnViking

janeproc
  • Law Student
22 minutes ago, CndnViking said:

Ah, that explains it. Thanks!

Oh yeah, trust me, as someone who has priced out moving there multiple times over the years, I'm aware of that aspect as well. I suppose it's a matter of weighing the extra cost in one area against the savings in another. Besides, it's not like a city like Toronto is a whole lot cheaper to live in.

For sure! However, if you're interested in working in the Vancouver market afterwards, going to UBC helps facilitate that. However, I'm at the University of Saskatchewan and was offered plenty of interviews for Vancouver this year so it won't make or break you.

CndnViking
  • Applicant
5 minutes ago, janeproc said:

For sure! However, if you're interested in working in the Vancouver market afterwards, going to UBC helps facilitate that. However, I'm at the University of Saskatchewan and was offered plenty of interviews for Vancouver this year so it won't make or break you.

Very fair. The tuition prices in the prairies are certainly appealing, but I've lived in Southern Alberta my whole life, and while I plan on applying to places like the UofC just in case, part of me sees schools elsewhere in the country as a welcome opportunity to get out, so I'm still looking at Ontario and BC schools, for those reasons.

I can't imagine myself living in Sask or Manitoba though.