Biglaw Corporate/Financial Services Associate - AMA

WhoKnows

WhoKnows
  • Lawyer

It's about that time. This forum and its predecessor gave me a bunch of information I needed as the first in my family to go to law school, so it's time to try to return the favour. I can't promise the responses will be quick, but I'll get to questions as often as possible. 

I'm a non-Toronto 3rd year associate in the corporate and financial services group of a biglaw firm. I do a mix of general corporate, private M&A, and secured lending/debt finance work, with the latter taking up most of my time these days. Happy to answer any questions folks have on practice, big firm (or small firm) life, etc. So ask away. 

Edited by WhoKnows

bigcheeser
  • Undergrad

I was wondering if the pay in BigLaw in Canada (typical pay range) is comparable to the states and if the work life is just as much (ie 1800hr Billable).

Thank you!

Edited by bigcheeser
I wanted to make it more specific.

LMP
  • Articling Student

You'll have to narrow it down a bit. But short answer is no, top of the range salary in the US significantly exceed the Canadian equivalent.

1 hour ago, bigcheeser said:

I was wondering if the pay in BigLaw in Canada (typical pay range) is comparable to the states and if the work life is just as much (ie 1800hr Billable).

Thank you!

I went to a conference recently where I met some first year associates from the US (so fresh from law school since no articling). They made about $190k USD ($256k CAD).  Their billable target was 1800. They said NY pay was even higher than that but also more hours.

Edited by Ramesses

WhoKnows
  • Lawyer
11 hours ago, bigcheeser said:

Thank you!

Not comparable at all, as others have stated. That being said, from what I've heard the culture is also much more of a meat grinder, and those billable targets are a lot more firm than they are at some firms here. 

Edited by WhoKnows

bigcheeser
  • Undergrad

Thanks everyone for your response. Im deciding between applying and attending a US school or staying local so this information is very helpful.