Seriously? Lethbridge/Bond Law Program

Spinnaker

Spinnaker
  • Law School Admit

I received a Facebook ad for this: 

https://www.ulethbridge.ca/future-student/program/law-dual-degree-bachelor-arts-bachelor-laws

I know the University of Lethbridge is a primarily undergraduate or transfer-college type university, but the fact that they would advertise this Bond University combined program and that their tuition estimator tool only shows first year (at Lethbridge, with reasonable tuition of ~$9k) is just misleading and borderline unethical in my opinion. Bond University tuition for this program is already $170k. 😂

Just though the community would find it pretty funny.

• Like 3
  • Nom! 1

Ob16
  • Law Student

When I was applying to undergrad years ago, I noticed a super similar partnership between Wilfred Laurier Univeristy and the University of Sussex. Two years at WLU then 3 at Sussex and 2 more at Laurier to graduate with both at the same time. They really hype up the UK school. Seems predatory towards high school students who may not know the risks of going abroad. 

• 2 weeks later...
SNAILS
  • Articling Student

I know someone that is a law clerk and is doing a  law degree online in Britain. I'm pretty sure it's Lethbridge. 

Is this the type of thing that gets someone accredited as a lawyer in Ontario? I know generally about the NCAs, but I do not know specifically how likely of a route this is as an alternative to going to an actual law school in Canada in person.

Edited by SNAILS

Mignonette
  • Law Student

Oof.  Yes, technically eventually you can become an accredited lawyer in ON with an online English degree, but it's not the most efficient route.  With any foreign credential, you can expect to spend about a year working your way through 1-8 NCA exams.  Then you apply to the bar, complete the requirements which include exam, articling and good character in ON, which will take another year-ish.  

With a distance degree from a foreign jurisdiction, the NCA will likely require that you take two full years of in-class studies to complete core subjects.  Then you apply to the bar.  Then there are the rumours about stigma associated with foreign credentials - that they may make it harder to find articling supervisors and jobs afterwards, that you won't be competitive for more prestigious roles, etc.  I don't know to what extent those rumours are true, or to what extent they get over-blown by online forums tho...  I can't imagine that a distance degree would have less stigma.  So after the online degree, if everything goes perfectly, you can still expect to spend three years qualifying before practice.  It just doesn't seem like a good way to get to where you are going.  I could probably get to Vancouver by swimming east from Halifax, but there are better options.

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
26 minutes ago, Mignonette said:

I don't know to what extent those rumours are true, or to what extent they get over-blown by online forums tho... 

Hey @everyone, she’s talking about us! 

• LOL 1

thrill
  • Law Student
On 10/6/2023 at 12:28 PM, Ob16 said:

When I was applying to undergrad years ago, I noticed a super similar partnership between Wilfred Laurier Univeristy and the University of Sussex. Two years at WLU then 3 at Sussex and 2 more at Laurier to graduate with both at the same time. They really hype up the UK school. Seems predatory towards high school students who may not know the risks of going abroad. 

That program is absolutely predatory and a waste of funds for most students. Sad, but at least most students in that program end up dropping to just the BA before they actually go to Sussex

• Like 1

GreyDude
  • Law Student

“Bond University is the largest Law School for Canadian Bachelor of Laws and Juris Doctor students.” They seem to have forgotten to add “in Australia.”   The text seems to be the wording of the Bond U website with the country reference edited out, but giving benefit of the doubt I assume it’s not deliberately misleading and was just missed by the proofreader. At this point, though, it looks to me as if ULethbridge needs to hire a fact-checker.

Edited by GreyDude
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1

BondGuy
  • Lawyer
18 hours ago, Mignonette said:

I don't know to what extent those rumours are true,

They are true. Fair or unfair. 

My username checks out.