Ottawa Market Summer Rates

anaolah

anaolah
  • Law Student

Just curious if there's any way to know the market rate for 1L/2L summer positions in Ottawa this year?

non-monogamist
  • Law Student

Anecdotally I’ve heard that last year was roughly 1250/week. Keep in mind though NALP took down the compensation section of their website so things might change. 

It also varies depending on the size of the firm. 

• Like 1

BeRightBack
  • Law Student

Most of the medium-sized firms used to pay 1000 per week and some of the big firms like Gowlings used to pay 1.25k per week. This is according to NALP (last year, when things still used to be transparent).

non-monogamist
  • Law Student
25 minutes ago, ProBoner said:

Most of the medium-sized firms used to pay 1000 per week and some of the big firms like Gowlings used to pay 1.25k per week. This is according to NALP (last year, when things still used to be transparent).

Curious to know which mid sized firms pay 1k/week. If I remember correctly Brazeau Seller (mid sized) and Emond Harnden (labour boutique) were also paying 1250/wk. I want to stress that I’m not saying you’re wrong, just never heard of firms paying so little and would be curious to know which ones do…mainly to avoid them.

Also OP here is a link telling you what Emond Harnden pays its articling students. I know it’s not what you originally looked for, but it should provide some indication (It’s 58k base plus 6K in bonuses which comes out to roughly 1250/week over 52 weeks). 

https://ehlaw.ca/careers/career-opportunities-law-students/

• Like 1

europiumreef_1867
  • Law Student

I believe summer pay at the top IP firms in Ottawa is now closer to the $1500/week range across the board. As others mentioned, it was around $1250/week last summer, but there have definitely been bumps. Anecdotally, I have also heard a couple firms pay Toronto rate. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
non-monogamist
  • Law Student
On 10/18/2023 at 1:53 PM, europiumreef_1867 said:

I believe summer pay at the top IP firms in Ottawa is now closer to the $1500/week range across the board. As others mentioned, it was around $1250/week last summer, but there have definitely been bumps. Anecdotally, I have also heard a couple firms pay Toronto rate. 

Which firms pay Toronto rates? Haven’t heard of any and would be curious to know.

europiumreef_1867
  • Law Student
On 10/26/2023 at 9:54 PM, non-monogamist said:

Which firms pay Toronto rates? Haven’t heard of any and would be curious to know.

One of them starts with an O. I've heard of others that are between Toronto and the $1250/week range.

• Like 1

chaboywb
  • Lawyer
On 10/26/2023 at 9:54 PM, non-monogamist said:

I have heard that Stikes and Osler pay Toronto rates to their articling students in Ottawa. Not 100% on that, though.

• Like 1