LASL for Employment/Labour Law

Fyodor
  • Law School Admit

Hello everyone,

I’m mainly interested in law for employment and labour law. I’m trying to get an idea on some of the best schools for this sector and was wondering what any current students or what people know about how strong LASL is in this area. Is getting jobs in this sector hard with the insane competition of so many people wanting to work in Toronto? 

For example, if I want this sector and want to work in GTA/Toronto, would I be better off going to TMU or UOttawa?

thanks

So, generally I'd say it is advantageous to go to school in the market you want to work in, but in this case that advice might change.

There's nothing wrong with TMU, but my understanding is they don't really have a robust labour and employment curriculum yet. I think your clinical options might also be limited (and on top of that it is more expensive than Ottawa). 

My understanding of Labour and Employment jobs (and paticularly labour) is that demonstrating interest is key. In fact I've seen some firms require you to have taken a certian number of L&E courses. And I believe it'll be easier to demonstrate that interest at a school that has more courses and established extracurriculars in the area. 

• Like 1

Fyodor
  • Law School Admit
On 10/10/2023 at 5:08 PM, LMP said:

So, generally I'd say it is advantageous to go to school in the market you want to work in, but in this case that advice might change.

There's nothing wrong with TMU, but my understanding is they don't really have a robust labour and employment curriculum yet. I think your clinical options might also be limited (and on top of that it is more expensive than Ottawa). 

My understanding of Labour and Employment jobs (and paticularly labour) is that demonstrating interest is key. In fact I've seen some firms require you to have taken a certian number of L&E courses. And I believe it'll be easier to demonstrate that interest at a school that has more courses and established extracurriculars in the area. 

Thank you so much for the feedback! I noticed many schools only have 1-2 employment/labour law courses which sucks. I suppose that I’ll have to hope I could work probono or just in that sphere as much as I can to prove my genuine interest. 

It seems Queens would be the best and most realistic option for me for that field in particular so I’ll have to hope I can up my LSAT (PT range 158-162) but for sure bombed the last one with a LG section from hell to have a legit chance.

Thanks again!

1 hour ago, Fyodor said:

Thank you so much for the feedback! I noticed many schools only have 1-2 employment/labour law courses which sucks. I suppose that I’ll have to hope I could work probono or just in that sphere as much as I can to prove my genuine interest. 

It seems Queens would be the best and most realistic option for me for that field in particular so I’ll have to hope I can up my LSAT (PT range 158-162) but for sure bombed the last one with a LG section from hell to have a legit chance.

Thanks again!

At the end of the day, no school is disqualified from labour and employment jobs. It might be easier to demonstrate interest through conventional academic means at some schools, but if you're willing to put in effort you can achieve similar results elsewhere. 

Spend time networking with folks, join whatever organizations or clubs you can and get strong marks. If you do all that it won't matter as much where you end up. 

• Like 2

Fyodor
  • Law School Admit
14 hours ago, LMP said:

At the end of the day, no school is disqualified from labour and employment jobs. It might be easier to demonstrate interest through conventional academic means at some schools, but if you're willing to put in effort you can achieve similar results elsewhere. 

Spend time networking with folks, join whatever organizations or clubs you can and get strong marks. If you do all that it won't matter as much where you end up. 

Thank you so much for the advice! I truly appreciate it.