Ottawa IP Recruit 2023

idkanythinglol

idkanythinglol
  • Law Student

Just wondering if anyone has heard back from firms yet.

Also, any tips for interviews?

BeRightBack
  • Law Student

Do Ottawa IP firms have a huge pool of Applicants who have both technical and legal background? They seemed too picky to me, considering their pay is abysmally low.

Onism
  • Law School Admit
21 hours ago, surf2020 said:

BLG PFO yesterday, Smart & Biggar and Gowling interview invites today. Osgoode. 

Have you heard anything from other firms? I also received emails from BLG and Gowling but never from anyone else

europiumreef_1867
  • Law Student
7 hours ago, ProBoner said:

Do Ottawa IP firms have a huge pool of Applicants who have both technical and legal background? They seemed too picky to me, considering their pay is abysmally low.

I would guess there's a fair amount of candidates with STEM background. Have also heard some Ottawa IP salaries have been bumped up in the past year - now closer to the $70-80k range, with a select few even offering Toronto rates... 

Edited by europiumreef_1867
  • Thanks 1

resultsfound
  • Applicant

Got second round invites on monday and completed interviews with BLG and Gowling. Gowling wrote in the email that the summer students get paid at the rate of 65K/annum if selected. Not sure about BLG yet. 1L 

chaboywb
  • Lawyer
On 10/18/2023 at 6:04 AM, ProBoner said:

It is a competitive pool. Many PhDs and engineers go into law school specifically to do IP and the Ottawa IP recruit is their first kick at the can.

The summer and articling pay at most of these firms is not great (Osler being the exception, as I believe they pay Toronto rates) - the benefit is locking down articling within three months of starting 1L, which is major pressure off of ones back. I think these firms take advantage of that fact to some extent, but everyone I know who got one of these jobs is now doing well. It's great training if you're okay specializing early.

• Thanks 1

Onism
  • Law School Admit

Got it today

11 hours ago, idkanythinglol said:

Anyone hear back yet?

Edited by Onism
  • Like 2