Application advice

legallyconfuzed

legallyconfuzed
  • Applicant

Hi everyone! I wrote the LSAT this weekend and definitely think I underperformed. I was PTing around 164-168 but feel like I scored less (maybe 160-162), so I was wondering: should I sign up for the Jan LSAT or just go through the application process, see how it goes, and redo the LSAT + reapply next year?

For context, my GPA is 3.95+ (same B3) and I’m aiming for UofT and (more realistically) Osgoode. Any advice would be appreciated! 

Monophobia
  • Law Student

Assuming you've already sent your applications in for this cycle, if you gamble on your current less-than-desired stats and don't receive the results you want, then it will cost more (time, effort, and money wise) to retake and reapply next cycle. Retake this cycle. Ensure your stats are what you want to get the results you want now.

Assuming you haven't applied yet, it's another gamble to apply without having the stats you want. You're essentially betting the price of your applications that you will have the LSAT score you want in January. If you're willing to take that bet, then go ahead. But don't be surprised if you don't get the results you want. The safer option in this case would likely be to wait until next cycle to apply with the stats you want.

Edited by Monophobia

legallyconfuzed
  • Applicant
10 minutes ago, Monophobia said:

Assuming you've already sent your applications in for this cycle, if you gamble on your current less-than-desired stats and don't receive the results you want, then it will cost more (time, effort, and money wise) to retake and reapply next cycle. Retake this cycle. Ensure your stats are what you want to get the results you want now.

Assuming you haven't applied yet, it's another gamble to apply without having the stats you want. You're essentially betting the price of your applications that you will have the LSAT score you want in January. If you're willing to take that bet, then go ahead. But don't be surprised if you don't get the results you want. The safer option in this case would likely be to wait until next cycle to apply with the stats you want.

Thank your for replying! So I haven’t sent in my applications yet, but I think I want to apply anyway just in case there is a small chance that my GPA will make up for my below-median LSAT. Thankfully money isn’t much of an issue, so I guess it’s more of a ‘do I retake the LSAT in Jan or just wait it out’ issue. 

If I do decide to retake it in January, do I have to send an email to the admissions office letting them know or will LSAC automatically show them I’m signed up? Just wondering because I don’t want them to base a decision off my Oct LSAT score, if that is the case.

Monophobia
  • Law Student

If you're aiming for UofT, then I would recommend retaking the LSAT in January. Yes, you have a stellar GPA, but you should want to maximize your application if you're dead-set on UofT. You don't want to willingly hand the adcom any reason to deny you. 

5 minutes ago, legallyconfuzed said:

If I do decide to retake it in January, do I have to send an email to the admissions office letting them know or will LSAC automatically show them I’m signed up? Just wondering because I don’t want them to base a decision off my Oct LSAT score, if that is the case.

There is an option in OLSAS to enter future LSAT dates you're signed up for. No need to email directly.

Most schools will wait until your January test to form a decision. But if they decide your application is competitive as-is, then they could obviously admit you on the spot. 

scooter
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, legallyconfuzed said:

Just wondering because I don’t want them to base a decision off my Oct LSAT score, if that is the case.

Schools don't reject you or make final decisions until the end of the cycle. If you apply with an LSAT now, they may consider you now. If they don't want to admit you yet, they will still keep your file and reconsider when you submit an updated score. In your situation you might as well apply now.