Should I mention LSAT Performance Consideration? (Osgoode / Western)

AlephBetVet

AlephBetVet
  • Applicant

Hi there. I'm currently finishing up my applications for OLSAS and am wondering if a situation I experienced while studying for the LSAT is worth/appropriate to mention for an LSAT Performance Consideration. For clarification, UofT/Ottawa/Queens don't give me specific space to mention this consideration, whereas Osgoode and Western do. UofT does offer an optional essay like Western, but I wrote something else for that one, and maybe I'd be open to writing about this performance consideration for UofT as well instead. 

While studying for my LSAT, I was working as a lifeguard and I had someone at the pool pass away in front of me / had to rescue them from the pool. It left me with some PTSD I've been going to therapy for and doing well from. But it also definitely upended my LSAT studying. While I PT'd around 169-175 (wouldn't mention this), I scored 159 on my September test, which was 3 weeks after that event. I will mention that I am planning to do the LSAT again in Nov and Jan. I think it worth mentioning since I have a high GPA and strong softs, so my currently-low LSAT definitely stands out. 

If you have any thoughts if this appropriate to include, please share! I feel it really screwed me up for a bit and got in the way of performing my best, but am not trying to blame it for my LSAT score / will make it clear that I am pushing through it and going to do better next time. 

Chewy
  • Law School Admit

My advice is to not include an LSAT performance consideration, retake the LSAT, and let that speak for itself. 

• Like 4

AlephBetVet
  • Applicant
1 hour ago, Chewy said:

My advice is to not include an LSAT performance consideration, retake the LSAT, and let that speak for itself. 

I appreciate this feedback. I felt this too on some level, that if retaking, let the retake be the whole story. Also allows me to discuss positive aspects of myself in those spaces.

Edited by AlephBetVet

ihj_2000
  • Law Student

The fact that you are planning to retake the LSAT gives you the chance to prove yourself with a higher score. This being said, I mentioned medical issues that I experienced during my LSAT - for my Osgoode application - and got an acceptance. 

• Like 1