Second thoughts on my personal statement

legallybrunette7

legallybrunette7
  • Applicant

Hi!

As deadlines are right around the corner, I've been making some final edits to my personal statement. However, after having a few people read it, I've received different feedback. Two people, including my advisor, thought it was good, while someone else recommended significant edits and suggested avoiding storytelling.

I was wondering, should personal statements have more of a narrative/storytelling style, or should they be more straightforward?

Thanks!

Ob16
  • Law Student

Did you follow the outline/expeditions given for each school on OLSAS? Is it authentic? If so, it’s probably good and won’t hurt you! I wouldn’t think too much about it unless it’s for an access claim, I think I spent about 45 minutes on mine. 

• Like 1

coffeetable5
  • Law School Admit

From the advice i've gotten, personal storytelling can be a great component for your PS if it contributes to your story of 'why law', and/or 'why that specific law school' and/or 'what makes you a good/unique candidate'. Ultimately, I think it's up to you on what you think will make your personal statement stronger. 

• Like 1

JungleMean
  • Law Student

Agree with @coffeetable5 - personal storytelling is really helpful in explaining the why law/why there/why you questions. This is the total opposite of when I did my MA, so different fields have different expectations (might be part of why you got conflicting advice?) but I wouldn't get rid of it.

• Like 1