Masters before law school

lawapplicant96

lawapplicant96
  • Applicant

Has anyone completed a Masters before starting law school? Do you regret it? Would you say it was worth it in your experience? 

ZukoJD
  • Law Student

It’s pretty common.

I just looked up a few schools for some points of reference and at Western 11% of their class has graduate degrees. At U of T this figure was 20% and it was 22% at McGill. I think Queen’s was around where U of T and McGill are as well but I can’t find the source at the moment. 

I think whether it’s worth it depends on the degree and where you want to practice in law. If you want IP it seems like it’s more or less required. If you want to do something like criminal or family I really can’t see it being a benefit and if anything given cost considerations it would likely be a negative. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
On 8/1/2021 at 4:40 PM, ZukoJD said:

If you want IP it seems like it’s more or less required.

Really? Everyone I know in IP positions over the summer had a science/eng background with no masters. 

• Like 1

Darth Vader
  • Lawyer
21 minutes ago, QueensDenning said:

Really? Everyone I know in IP positions over the summer had a science/eng background with no masters. 

You don't need a master's if you have an engineering background, but many, if not most of the hires I've seen at top IP boutiques like Bereskin & Parr and Smart & Biggar with traditional science degrees had master's and/or PhDs. I remember reading a post from an IP lawyer on Reddit where he listed a hierarchy in the hiring pool. STEM Bachelor's degrees are dime a dozen now in law school, so unless you have great grades, they're often looking to see if you have advanced degrees as well. Engineering seems to be the exception where a Bachelor's degree is fine. And if course, if you land a job at a full-service firm, then you can pursue IP law even with an arts degree.