In-house 2L and beyond: can you share your experience?

RC51

Hi Friends,

Can you share your career outcomes after doing your 2L summer in house? Did you go back for articling? If not, how was the articling, and the associate recruit for you?

My story so far is that I did 1L in-house in government, and now 2L likely at a Fortune 500 company.

I think this is the best outcome I could have hoped given my average grades. 

Also didn't get any OCI interviews from big firms, only a few boutiques. Nonetheless, I worked similar hours before law school and not sure if I can stomach consistency doing 60/70 hour weeks + billables again at a law firm.

Swami
  • Articling Student

did in-house in 2L summer and told them I was going to do the articling recruit. they were supportive and even helped with my applications/ connecting with people. Ended up securing a big law firm in the recruit and articling there now.

• Like 1

uoftearsalumna
  • Applicant

How did you guys secure 2L in-house positions? I'd consider in-house if I dont land in the recruit. Was it a lot of cold calling on your part?

32 minutes ago, uoftearsalumna said:

How did you guys secure 2L in-house positions? I'd consider in-house if I dont land in the recruit. Was it a lot of cold calling on your part?

replied to your dm.

TruthHandlingAbilities
  • Law Student
9 hours ago, RC51 said:

replied to your dm.

I'm also curious about the process if you wouldn't mind sharing. Official postings for in-house student jobs on our career services page seem to be limited over the years. I'm also looking for "legal intern" postings on LinkedIn and Indeed without much luck - I'm not sure if its a cyclical thing with more postings coming up closer to the summer or if I'm looking. in the wrong places. 

Two of my friends did. Both did articling recruit as the corporations did not have articling programs. Both applied for articling recruit and secured jobs in big law. The only difference I could see between you and them is they had better than average grades and they were only in their in-house positions for four months. Some firms may see your two in-house summers as a sign you are more interested in in-house work or will pursue that path in the future. 

10 hours ago, Ramesses said:

Two of my friends did. Both did articling recruit as the corporations did not have articling programs. Both applied for articling recruit and secured jobs in big law. The only difference I could see between you and them is they had better than average grades and they were only in their in-house positions for four months. Some firms may see your two in-house summers as a sign you are more interested in in-house work or will pursue that path in the future. 

Thank you for sharing this, probably won't be applying to firms in the articling recruit in the first place.