Chances: GPA 3.7, B2/L2 3.90, UBC 82%, LSAT 163 -> UBC, Queens, UofT

SmallBart

SmallBart
  • Law School Admit

I'm a mature applicant, Master's plus 5 years of experience (though I applied as a general for all three). Got a big head after averaging in the 170s for practice LSATs 🙃. Waiting on my score from this month's test and hoping for something in the high 160s.

• 3 weeks later...
SmallBart
  • Law School Admit
On 11/13/2023 at 9:14 PM, Monophobia said:

In at Queen's. Likely no for the other two. Happy to chance you again with your updated score.

Thank you! My score from November is 165. I also applied to UVic since I'm fairly attached to BC.

Spinnaker
  • Law School Admit

Out of curiosity, why did you choose to apply General when you qualify as a Mature/Discretionary applicant? 

SmallBart
  • Law School Admit
4 hours ago, Spinnaker said:

Out of curiosity, why did you choose to apply General when you qualify as a Mature/Discretionary applicant? 

Discretionary and mature applications require more references. My academic ref is solid but the professional reference would be flakey and from a while ago. I’ve been with my current employer for a while and while I think I have a good reputation there I don’t want to ask them for a reference since it would be a pretty clear signal that I’m considering leaving.

xiaomaomi
  • Law School Admit
1 hour ago, SmallBart said:

Discretionary and mature applications require more references. My academic ref is solid but the professional reference would be flakey and from a while ago. I’ve been with my current employer for a while and while I think I have a good reputation there I don’t want to ask them for a reference since it would be a pretty clear signal that I’m considering leaving.

Did any AO specifically require more references for mature applicants? I am a mature applicant as well. I understand that some more documentation may be required... However, my impression was that schools prefer academic references even for mature applicants (at least one academic), and some schools only review two references (while declining to read the third one)... Example: https://law.uwo.ca/future_students/jd_admissions/admissions_FAQ/reference_letters.html. Furthermore, if I remember correctly, UofT specifies a "mature" category but does not accept any reference letters. 

One of which must be academic (from a university instructor)... If you are a Mature applicant you may submit two non-academic references if you cannot obtain an academic reference.

OLSAS permits this, but if more than two are submitted, our Admissions Committee will read only two.

All these schools specifically require a resume for mature applicants though, so it's probably the quality of the resume and PS that matters, I assume...

Edited by xiaomaomi

SmallBart
  • Law School Admit
4 hours ago, xiaomaomi said:

Did any AO specifically require more references for mature applicants? I am a mature applicant as well. I understand that some more documentation may be required... However, my impression was that schools prefer academic references even for mature applicants (at least one academic), and some schools only review two references (while declining to read the third one)... Example: https://law.uwo.ca/future_students/jd_admissions/admissions_FAQ/reference_letters.html. Furthermore, if I remember correctly, UofT specifies a "mature" category but does not accept any reference letters. 

IIRC UBC specifically requires two references for discretionary applicants but does not accept references for general applicants.

• Like 1

Monophobia
  • Law Student
12 hours ago, SmallBart said:

Thank you! My score from November is 165. I also applied to UVic since I'm fairly attached to BC.

Looks good for Queen's and UVic. Would need B3 for UofT, but I would say still leaning towards no. Same for UBC. Best of luck, congratz on the better score.

SmallBart
  • Law School Admit
19 hours ago, Monophobia said:

Looks good for Queen's and UVic. Would need B3 for UofT, but I would say still leaning towards no. Same for UBC. Best of luck, congratz on the better score.

Thanks! I calculate my B3 as being 3.97 which suggests my math might be off for the B2; I guess I'll see what OLSAS thinks when those numbers get releases.

SmallBart
  • Law School Admit

Update: OLSAS calculates my overall cGPA as 3.65. Also I actually applied to UofT as a mature student, not a general applicant.