Chances at Osgoode, Ottawa, n Queens. cgpa: 3.85, l/b2: 3.88-.90, lsat 151 (crying)

mrreide123

Monophobia
  • Law Student

Unfortunately, an acceptance does not seem likely at those schools with current stats. Maybe a very slim chance at Ottawa at best. Even with such a strong GPA, that LSAT is simply too low to be mitigated.

I would recommend a retake in January if you haven't signed up already. If possible, I would also recommend that you apply to more schools. You've restricted yourself to a very limited and competitive pool.

Best of luck. 

• Like 3

StoneMason
  • Law Student
17 hours ago, Monophobia said:

I would recommend a retake in January if you haven't signed up already. 

This! That's a fabulous CGPA that you've already invested 4 years into. It almost feels like a waste to settle for a 151 LSAT. Try and retake it at least once more with 3-6 months of prep if you can manage. I do appreciate that not everyone has the life circumstances to delay things by a year, but if you can, I would highly advise it. 

• Like 3

lawhopeful1234
  • Law School Admit
18 hours ago, StoneMason said:

This! That's a fabulous CGPA that you've already invested 4 years into. It almost feels like a waste to settle for a 151 LSAT. Try and retake it at least once more with 3-6 months of prep if you can manage. I do appreciate that not everyone has the life circumstances to delay things by a year, but if you can, I would highly advise it. 

Question for you! Would it be different/better for this applicant if they had experience or other education? Eg. being a few years out of undergrad, having master's education and/or social services related experience?

MyWifesBoyfriend
  • Law School Admit
39 minutes ago, lawhopeful1234 said:

Question for you! Would it be different/better for this applicant if they had experience or other education? Eg. being a few years out of undergrad, having master's education and/or social services related experience?

From my understanding, this would only marginally improve their chances. North American law schools typically emphasize ‘hard stats’ such as LSAT and CGPA. The ‘softs’ (e.g., Masters, work experience etc.) are there for adcoms to decide between Applicants with already strong profiles. 

Once you’re 5 years out of school, you’re a mature applicant though, and I think this changes the selection criteria somewhat. Regardless, OP will need at least a 155+ for guaranteed admissions to tier 3 Canadian law schools.

• Like 2

StoneMason
  • Law Student
On 11/19/2023 at 9:38 AM, lawhopeful1234 said:

What BurnerQuestion123 is on point. While experience and other education would definitely add to a holistic application and could be the deciding factor between two otherwise similar applicants, the reality is that LSAT scores are extremely heavily weighed. Unfortunately, 151 is simply too low a score to be competitive regardless of other experiences. The only exceptions I can think of are maybe things like being a Rhodes Scholar or Nobel Laureate? But even there I wouldn't be confident in getting acceptances from all schools. And those would be the exception and not the rule. 

In this context, even a few points more, say around a 155, would make a huge difference if accompanied by an otherwise strong application. 

Edited by StoneMason
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1