Chances? cGPA: 3.15, L3: 3.87, L2: 4.05. LSAT: 175

Arya_Dharma

Arya_Dharma
  • Applicant

Applying to: UVic, UBC, TRU, UofA, UCal, UMan, Osgoode, UofT, Queen's, Ottawa, McGill, UNB, Dal

Bombed first undergrad degree but have some medical documentation. Went back to school for 2 years to boost gpa. Currently president of an undergraduate mooting team and have won two competitions.

Excited0L
  • Applicant

Everything is a yes but with the schools that look at CGPA I would be a bit more careful but you have a killer LSAT to make up for things.

In simple terms: 
Most Definitely Yes: TRU, UofA, UCal, UMan, UofT, Queen's, UNB, Dal

I would say your LSAT makes up for the CGPA for these: Osgoode and Ottawa

McGill, I don't know anything about 

What is your % GPA for UBC with the drops?

Arya_Dharma
  • Applicant

Thanks for the reply! I believe UBC only calculates GPA using grades from first undergrad, in which case it's probably around 65% 😞

Arya_Dharma
  • Applicant
9 minutes ago, Excited0L said:

Everything is a yes but with the schools that look at CGPA I would be a bit more careful but you have a killer LSAT to make up for things.

In simple terms: 
Most Definitely Yes: TRU, UofA, UCal, UMan, UofT, Queen's, UNB, Dal

I would say your LSAT makes up for the CGPA for these: Osgoode and Ottawa

McGill, I don't know anything about 

What is your % GPA for UBC with the drops?

Thanks for the reply! I believe UBC only calculates GPA using grades from first undergrad, in which case it's probably around 65% 😞

Excited0L
  • Applicant
1 minute ago, Arya_Dharma said:

Thanks for the reply! I believe UBC only calculates GPA using grades from first undergrad, in which case it's probably around 65% 😞

Aw damn, that sucks but I think you are in a good spot for various other great schools and wish you the best of luck in your applications.  Also if you apply in the discretionary category at UBC if that is your dream school, they might look at your more recent success at school along with that LSAT and offer you a spot. But then again that would be a lot harder to predict and such. But for schools that just look at your L2 or B3 (UofT) you have a phenomenal chance as long as they also don't have policies of looking just at your first undergrad degree. Please do check that for yourself or contact admissions for clarification.

Arya_Dharma
  • Applicant
Just now, Excited0L said:

Aw damn, that sucks but I think you are in a good spot for various other great schools and wish you the best of luck in your applications.  Also if you apply in the discretionary category at UBC if that is your dream school, they might look at your more recent success at school along with that LSAT and offer you a spot. But then again that would be a lot harder to predict and such. But for schools that just look at your L2 or B3 (UofT) you have a phenomenal chance as long as they also don't have policies of looking just at your first undergrad degree. Please do check that for yourself or contact admissions for clarification.

Thanks so much for the input, I will ring UBC and see if there's any way they will look at my later grades. Btw do you know if UofT's B3 system cares whether the courses were done in full-time, academic year blocks? Or it is more just like your best 90 units? I tried emailing them but was unable to get a clear answer

Excited0L
  • Applicant
1 minute ago, Arya_Dharma said:

Thanks so much for the input, I will ring UBC and see if there's any way they will look at my later grades. Btw do you know if UofT's B3 system cares whether the courses were done in full-time, academic year blocks? Or it is more just like your best 90 units? I tried emailing them but was unable to get a clear answer

As far as I know, UofT's B3 is supposed to be your best 3 academic years. I think the only school that does individual credits is TMU. They will hand pick your B20 ie your best 20 courses.

• Like 1

VitalGiraffe
  • Law Student
21 hours ago, Arya_Dharma said:

Thanks for the reply! I believe UBC only calculates GPA using grades from first undergrad, in which case it's probably around 65% 😞

I think (almost?) every school does this, no?

Arya_Dharma
  • Applicant
On 11/20/2023 at 6:54 PM, VitalGiraffe said:

I think (almost?) every school does this, no?

As far as I'm aware, other schools will count grades besides the first degree, so long as still undergraduate level

VitalGiraffe
  • Law Student
On 11/25/2023 at 6:51 PM, Arya_Dharma said:

As far as I'm aware, other schools will count grades besides the first degree, so long as still undergraduate level

From what I recall when I was applying, it had to be toward a degree. So you couldn't, for example, finish a 4-year degree, then just start signing up for more courses to boost your GPA. I would double-check with each school.