Moving to the US after Law School

BanzaiPipeline

BanzaiPipeline
  • Law Student

Wondering if anyone has had the experience of moving/practicing in the U.S directly after law school? I'm aware there are some Uoft/McGill/Osgoode students that OCI for big NYC firms. Thats not really my interest: more interested in small/mid-size practice in the US.

C_Terror
  • Lawyer

Generally small/mid size firms won't be hiring internationally when there's a glut of law grads in the States graduating every year. Canadians are also hired on a TN Visa, and also a flight risk, and small/mid size firms generally don't want to spend resources training up someone who's going to leave (presumably for big law) the first chance they get. Add on to that, firms usually pay for bar studying, bar pay etc, which are all incremental resources that small/mid size firms don't need to incur; see the first point re: a glut of US trained law grads every year. 

Of course this also depends on the geographic area that you're interested in as well. 

JackoMcSnacko
  • Lawyer

One thing to be aware of is whether you are eligible to write the bar in the particular state you're thinking of moving to.  I think only four states allow Canadian law school grads to write their bar without extra steps. 

• Like 2