Applying for a clerkship when you already have an article?

scaredandconfused

scaredandconfused
  • Law Student

If I already have an articling position lined up (with a government) for the 2024-2025 year, is it bad to apply for a clerkship that recently opened up in my City for the same year? 

That means if I get the clerkship, I have to reject the articling position. While I have orally accepted the articling position with the gov, I have not signed any papers. Would a clerkship be different since they're usually seen as rare opportunities? Would my articling employer understand? I don't think my government employer allows clerkship candidates so that's why I think it would be different than if I were at a firm. 

What do I say during the interview (if I get it) about offers for articling?  

Thanks!

Generally speaking going back on an offer is a bad idea and depending on your province could have law society related consequences. 

Having said that, it would depend on just how formal this offer of yours is. If a manager said they'd try and hire you if a box opened up, or something to that effect, then you really haven't had an offer yet. 

But if you've formally accepted an already created position then you should take a good hard look at the rules on backing out. It'd also be worthwhile to consider what that move would do to your reputation, but again, it all hinges on what this oral offer entailed. 

• Like 1

HarryCrane
  • Articling Student

I know some people who are currently applying for a clerkship (I assume the same one you are applying for). They spoke to people where they are articling to give them a heads up that they were applying and there were no issues (a couple were in government from memory). If it were a different firm you were applying to, that’s obviously a different situation. 

Generally firms are happy to have students clerk (it makes them look good and it’s amazing experience for students).