Chances: Mature; cGPA 3.50; masterGPA:4.15; 162

xiaomaomi

xiaomaomi
  • Law School Admit

Applied to four schools in Ontario (in mature or access category). Apologies in advance because the formats may not be correct as I never attended schools in Canada. 

I finished college around ten years ago and am a mature applicant with 6+ years of experience as a senior front-end engineer in a US tech company (in Silicon Valley). In 2022, I attended a master's program in law to boost my GPA and get strong recommendation letters. Further, I had a diversity claim with a doctor's note. 

I got (an official) 162 earlier this year. However, my score in October dropped due to extenuating circumstances that heavily distracted me (I cannot specify here, but it's really frustrating).  My score for November may also drop because I bombed LG, which made me gravely concerned...... I had a good start but messed up. 

What are my chances? I am no longer longing for UofT or UBC. But how about Western or Queen's? 

Also, the November score is coming. If anyone has any suggestion on how to handle the situation to increase my chances, I would highly appreciate it. 

Edited by xiaomaomi

• xiaomaomi changed the title to Chances: Mature; cGPA 3.50; masterGPA:4.15; 162
InfiniteChallenges
  • Law School Admit

While it's difficult to comment on any mature or access category applicants, I think personally that you have fairly strong stats. In specific for Western and Queen who look at B2/L2. I think if your PS mentioned your personal work experience and why you wanted a career path change towards law you should have a fairly strong PS as well. In terms of your October and November scores, unless they are extremely poor in comparison to your 162 I wouldn't worry too much about it. Anecdotally from previous posts, many universities look at the highest LSAT score. Since UofT and UBC are more stat-focused schools I'd recommend you check the 2016 UBC index scale and calculate your score. 92+ for UBC is a comp score. I think you have a good chance at both Western and Queens. If you would like to attend a more competitive school I'd recommend retaking the LSAT in January if you're confident that you can perform well. Wish you the best of luck on your applications.

• Thanks 1

xiaomaomi
  • Law School Admit
5 hours ago, InfiniteChallenges said:

While it's difficult to comment on any mature or access category applicants, I think personally that you have fairly strong stats. In specific for Western and Queen who look at B2/L2. I think if your PS mentioned your personal work experience and why you wanted a career path change towards law you should have a fairly strong PS as well. In terms of your October and November scores, unless they are extremely poor in comparison to your 162 I wouldn't worry too much about it. Anecdotally from previous posts, many universities look at the highest LSAT score. Since UofT and UBC are more stat-focused schools I'd recommend you check the 2016 UBC index scale and calculate your score. 92+ for UBC is a comp score. I think you have a good chance at both Western and Queens. If you would like to attend a more competitive school I'd recommend retaking the LSAT in January if you're confident that you can perform well. Wish you the best of luck on your applications.

@InfiniteChallenges, thank you for your very kind words. Yes. My PS should be pretty refined after rounds of reflection and proofreading. 

Western and Queen's should be sufficiently good for me since the conversations with the AOs before the cycle left me very positive impressions. Furthermore, I also agree with your judgment on the LSAT scores. Sadly, without knowing about this forum or doing more research, I hastily canceled my second LSAT, which was not too low compared with the initial one. 

I hope you have a joyous holiday season! 

Edited by xiaomaomi