Chances (UBC only) -> cGPA 3.84/4.0 with drops, 171 LSAT

watchchicago2002

watchchicago2002
  • Applicant

Hi all!

Only Allard (UBC). 

My cGPA without drops is 3.78/4.0, and with drops is 3.84/4.0 (my only worry here is a have a couple pass/fail courses (passed) from during the height of the Covid-19 shutdowns when my uni changed the rules about allowances within programs temporarily that I'm not including in the drops). I believe my 3.84 self-calculated cGPA should transfer over as an 82.8% in UBC's grading scale.

My LSAT is a 171. 

I'm applying under the Indigenous category and am also automatically considered in the general category. 

I have no clue what "good" or "bad" softs look like, but I do have very strong ties to my community, (including working multiple summers for the elected leader of a regional Band/Nation politics group) and I think a personally compelling connection to lived experiences and how it relates to the work I want to focus on in the future (public interest, Aboriginal law). I've also got a couple academic marks of achievement (distinction and first class honours, a paper published in an undergraduate journal related to my personal and professional/academic interests), and some evidence of social involvement in my undergraduate degree (volunteer work for Frosh, as a staff of a student bar on campus, first-year rep. of a social/sports club, member of a club wherein I volunteered for weekly shifts at the local shelter). 

If possible, I was hoping to get thoughts on chances for both the Indigenous and general categories separately. Also, given everything has been submitted on time any speculation as to when I should expect to hear back based on past years etc would be very helpful!

Thanks!!

Dghoul
  • Applicant

Does your transcript show the percent scores of each course? If so it could significantly increase the UBC grading scale from the conversion using cGPA. e.g. in my rather extreme case 3.61GPA becomes a 88%+ with drops. 

Anyway as of right now your UBC index is 92.73 which is "Very high" chance. Plus the indigenous status I think you stand a very good chance. 

• Thanks 1

WiseGhost
  • Law Student

Practically guaranteed. I think that you would have to say something deeply offensive in your UBC statement not to get accepted. Regardless of which category you applied in. 

Edited by WiseGhost
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 1

watchchicago2002
  • Applicant
15 hours ago, Dghoul said:

Does your transcript show the percent scores of each course? If so it could significantly increase the UBC grading scale from the conversion using cGPA. e.g. in my rather extreme case 3.61GPA becomes a 88%+ with drops. 

Anyway as of right now your UBC index is 92.73 which is "Very high" chance. Plus the indigenous status I think you stand a very good chance. 

Unfortunately my undergrad uni doesn't show percentage scores and the highest you can get in any course is an A (4.0), which begins at 85%. So with that in mind, I wouldn't be able to get more than 85% on UBC's scale even if I got perfect grades, plus the programs I was in had pretty strong either formal or informal curving schemes to prevent grade inflation. Feel a little like I kinda put myself at a disadvantage without knowing it back when I entered but oh well c'est la vie.

Anyways thanks for the thoughts from both of you it's very reassuring.