Becoming a parent during the articling to associate transition

3rdPerson

3rdPerson
  • Articling Student

I am becoming a dad around the end of my articling term.  Without getting into details, I am almost certain I'll be hired as an associate unless I really mess up. It's a good spot, but I don't know how they'll react to my big news. I already work about 60-70 hours and the expectations are only increasing over time.

I'm very interested in hearing from anyone with experience or wisdom to share.

My main concerns ATM are:

1. Is it reasonable to ask for around 4 weeks unpaid post-articling / pre associate? 

2. What's a good time frame to share the news and should I wait until I have the formal job offer in hand?

JackoMcSnacko
  • Lawyer

Congratulations!

I'm not a parent yet so take my post with a grain of salt, but some general thoughts: 

1. Broadly, don't sacrifice life over work. When you look back on your life, not working incrementally more is something you likely won't regret, but not being with your family during this period is something you likely will regret.
  2. Look up the paternity leave policy at your firm - it will tell you how long you could take.  For what little it's worth, I will take all of my allowed paternity leave when I do have children, though I will be quite senior by that time.
  3. Re Q1:  When I articled in biglaw standard was 2/3 months between articles and first year.  Assume you might not be in biglaw based on Q1 but 4 weeks seems very reasonable just by that fact alone.  You should ask for more if you need it.  
  4. Re Q2:  I think formal return offers are still four or five months away right?  I wouldn't wait that long to share news as it could seem like you're dropping the ask for leave too close to when you actually need it.  

All of this assumes that you have no indication that you firm could act unreasonably and that your boss isn't a nutter (higher likelihood in smaller independent firms, see Acumen v. Ojanen).

A good firm will understand that life comes before work and that no business case is urgent enough to require a pre-first year to start work and miss key life events.  If you feel the firm may react poorly to the birth of your first child, you may be too lost in the sauce of articling (remember this is just a job and not your life/identity).  Otherwise, the firm may be giving red flags that's reflected in your concerns in your post, in which case that's a different problem and requires different action. 

• Like 1

Psychometronic
  • Lawyer
2 hours ago, 3rdPerson said:

1. Is it reasonable to ask for around 4 weeks unpaid post-articling / pre associate? 

I took a 4-week vacation (not for parenting reasons) after my articles and before becoming an associate. Other people at my firm took more time. This is a very reasonable ask. 

• Like 2

Dinsdale
  • Lawyer

I take it you're not in Biglaw Toronto.  As mentioned, in that environment articles generally end in May and associates generally start around Labour Day.  Are you expecting to start as an associate immediately after your articles end?  You won't even be called to the bar (though that can be worked around).

• Like 1

3rdPerson
  • Articling Student

Thanks for the advice and input everyone.

18 hours ago, JackoMcSnacko said:

you may be too lost in the sauce of articling

Absolutely - I am trying my best to make my lifestyle more family-friendly, but it's hard to pair with the expectation that I have excess time and flexibility. 

RE Q1. I think I would need to directly ask to access to any employment policy, although I doubt anything formal exists.

RE Q2. That seems very obvious now that you say it. I suppose there is only one way to find out what their reaction will be. Better to find out sooner rather than later.

7 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

you're not in Biglaw Toronto

Correct. The expectation is for the articling students that are hired back to simply keep working and gradually take on more serious work until called to the bar. Not sure how commonplace this is, but the technical 'end' of articling is basically disregarded.

17 hours ago, JackoMcSnacko said:

see Acumen v. Ojanen

Thank you for the nightmare fuel...

• Like 1