Should I cancel a 153?

LegalAnxiety

LegalAnxiety
  • Applicant

I got my results back and got a 153 this was quite disappointing to say the least as I was averaging between 160 and 165. I will be doing the lsat again in January. Should I cancel this 153 as I know some schools like Calgary don't just look at your highest score. Morever, a 153 is not getting me in anywhere atleast a 158+ would be somewhat reasonable. 

MyWifesBoyfriend
  • Law School Admit

Depends on where you're applying. I think U of C and McGill average your LSATs. If either of these are your target schools, I'd recommend cancelling. Otherwise, there's no point, and multiple cancellations can look bad. 

bozoisonamission
  • Undergrad

I would cancel! I was applying to McGill and scored decently on my first take of the LSAT but it was below their average accepted. Decided to keep it as a backup and not cancel. When I re-took, I scored way above their avg but it ended up coming to them as a mid score, whereas if I had cancelled I could have done myself a serious favour. If you have faith in doing much better during your retake, and you likely wouldnt get in to all the schools you'd want with this score, considering your PT avg, 100% cancel. 

My general advice for those looking to cancel is to keep the score as long as you do not desire (or think you will have a desire to the future) to attend a school that currently averages your LSAT scores. There is limited benefit to cancelling in such cases, and it's usually helpful for your performance on your re-write to know you have a score in the back pocket that you can use for consideration. A lot of test takers benefit from the psychological comfort of having an absolute floor on their score (above 120). 

That said, a 153 is pretty borderline for consideration at most schools without an amazing GPA and very strong softs (e.g. Olympian and the like). So you may not get as much comfort from it. In which case, if there is any possibility that you might apply to a school that averages, then cancelling is also a fine option.

IMHO there seems to be justification for either cancelling or not cancelling, and I would just go with whichever option makes you feel more comfortable. 

Edited by AllanC