Law Society of Alberta- Articling and PREP Rules

goonersfc

goonersfc
  • Law Student

I have been going through LSA's licensing requirements and they all seem very confusing to me. Can someone please confirm if their articling term is 8 months ( as stated here: https://www.lawsociety.ab.ca/lawyers-and-students/become-a-lawyer/application-admission/law-students/) or is it 12 months as they mention on a recording available on their website here (https://www.lawsociety.ab.ca/lawyers-and-students/become-a-lawyer/application-admission/internationally-trained-lawyers/)?

Also, I would love to know PREP's review and more about the course from someone who has gone through the thing themselves. I have a few concerns about how can someone manage the time for an additional course with articling. Is it as stressful as it sounds? Finally, it would be helpful to know if firms (say, Biglaw) pay the PREP fee or you have to bear it yourself. 

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
21 minutes ago, goonersfc said:

I have been going through LSA's licensing requirements and they all seem very confusing to me. Can someone please confirm if their articling term is 8 months ( as stated here: https://www.lawsociety.ab.ca/lawyers-and-students/become-a-lawyer/application-admission/law-students/) or is it 12 months as they mention on a recording available on their website here (https://www.lawsociety.ab.ca/lawyers-and-students/become-a-lawyer/application-admission/internationally-trained-lawyers/)?

Articling terms are a minimum of 8 months and maximum of 12 months, with 12 month terms being the most common arrangements by far.

22 minutes ago, goonersfc said:

Also, I would love to know PREP's review and more about the course from someone who has gone through the thing themselves.

Not good. Speaking as someone quite familiar with both PREP and BC's PLTC program, there is an overwhelming consensus among current and former articling students that PREP is much more poorly organized, with poorer quality content that is far less useful in practice, however at least PREP is far less demanding and easier, if that's a plus for you.

24 minutes ago, goonersfc said:

I have a few concerns about how can someone manage the time for an additional course with articling. Is it as stressful as it sounds?

Entirely dependent on your articling arrangement.

I am articling in government and I am given paid time off to complete PREP work as needed. It's pretty sweet.

A friend of mine articled with an elite boutique firm and was trying to fulfil PREP requirements in the evenings while working 70 hour weeks. It was immensely stressful for her.

Without advising you to cut corners (and having not personally done this given the luxuries I've been afforded during articles), I will say that if you are absolutely swamped it is definitely feasible to skim modules and put in minimal work into PREP work in order to achieve passes. Many students do this.

27 minutes ago, goonersfc said:

Finally, it would be helpful to know if firms (say, Biglaw) pay the PREP fee or you have to bear it yourself. 

Any BigLaw, government or otherwise decent-sized and well-resourced firm/organization will cover their articling students' PREP fees.

Smaller firms may or may not.