159 vs 160

Mickey Haller

Mickey Haller
  • Applicant

How different are these? Other than being 1 point apart, are they conceivably the same? 

What do you think? 

If your goal score was anything over 160 and you scored 159, would you rewrite or be satisfied? 

MyWifesBoyfriend
  • Law School Admit

I think you should re-write. A 159 LSAT will likely not get you a first wave acceptance anyway, so you have nothing to lose if you write in January (assuming the school you're applying to accepts January LSATs). 

• Like 1

scooter
  • Law Student
10 minutes ago, Mickey Haller said:

How different are these? Other than being 1 point apart, are they conceivably the same? 

LSAT scoring isn't linear, so "1 point" is worth different amounts depending on the actual score you're talking about. What matters is where you rank compared to everyone else who took the test.

Based on recent years I think a 159 is around the 73rd percentile, a 160 is around the 77th percentile. I don't know the exact numbers this year, but that's the ballpark. This would mean 27% of test takers score a 159 or better, while only 23% score a 160 or better. So the difference is ranking 3-4% higher against your peers

By comparison, to use an extreme example, the difference between the percentile rank of a 178 and a 179 is less than 0.1% because it's at the very end of the bell curve

• Like 4

MyWifesBoyfriend
  • Law School Admit
25 minutes ago, Mickey Haller said:

What if it's combined with a 3.9 GPA?

I mean, you'll get in somewhere, but if you want ease of mind, I'd re-sit the LSAT. If anything, I wouldn't settle in your position since you have 4 years of stellar performance being held down by an arguably average LSAT score. 

• Like 1

Naj
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, Mickey Haller said:

If your goal score was anything over 160 and you scored 159, would you rewrite or be satisfied? 

Depends on if you have the time for it. Are you sitting around playing with your thumbs at this time of the year? If so then why not, go for it? 

Seen your other post, your GPA should guarantee you admission to one or more of those schools you listed. 

SoIWantToBeALawyer
  • Law Student

My goal score was 160, I also ended up scoring 159 and did decide to re-write. Especially because my practice scores were consistently higher so I felt like I could do better. Obviously I can't be sure if I would have gotten in anywhere with that score (my GPA wasn't that great) but I'm glad I took it again because I did end up getting a much better score. 

Dghoul
  • Applicant

Unless you are already certain 159 would get you into the school you like, don't overthink it. You should rewrite if you think you may score higher and have the time and resources. There's nothing to debate.

It's not like deciding whether to rewrite a 177,  the potential upside is too significant to ignore.