Chance me (cgpa: 3.4, L2: 3.71, B2:3.75; LSAT: 164 (86th percentile)

Moosehead

Moosehead
  • Applicant

Graduated last year, cGPA is low because my first two years were at a school I hated. Switched to U of T for the last 2 years of undergrad (degree is from there), got serious about school and won an academic award from my U of T College for the L2 GPA (It's U of T, getting to 3.71 isn't what you would call easy). So I have one transcript for years 1/2 and another for 3/4 that look like they're from completely different people. I ended up applying to 15 schools as I was pt'ing the lsat in the mid-150s and the application deadline was before this LSAT result, so I wasn't sure I would get an offer anywhere and ended up applying everywhere except McGill (don't speak French), Lakehead and TRU. I've listed the percentile with the LSAT because a lot of schools focus on the percentile more than the actual score (Osgoode especially). I'm in the general applicant category, and although I've got volunteer work at a foodshare and in mental health, and a year of working a low-end job since undergrad, it's really the numbers that drive admission in this group. I think of my applications using the following headings:

Almost certainly "Thanks for applying, best of luck somewhere else":

U of T and UBC. The LSAT gets me close to their medians, but realistically the GPAs are not?

"Who knows, as they consider either cGPA or best 3 years or something like UMan's Index score that I can't figure out":

UNB, Manitoba, Ottawa, Victoria. At these schools, I think the L2 and LSAT make me competitive, but the cGPA does not, but I don't know how much weight they will put on the improvement in my last two years of undergrad? I've tried a few times to figure out the Manitoba index score after several attempts at grade conversion (I have never heard of a 4.50 gpa system) and it's either 76.44 or 80.22, or somewhere in between maybe, who knows?

The L2 schools where I think I've got a decent shot: 

Dalhousie, Queens, Western, Calgary, USask and maybe U of A. Calgary's published medians for 2023 entry are 3.69 (L2) and 164 LSAT, so I'm either on or just ahead of their medians for the last entering class. Similar numbers at Queens and Western (LSAT medians might be a bit lower than Calgary). Alberta is tougher: they publish one of those admissions charts that's really helpful. I'm in a square that has some admitted students, but it's near the bottom edge of the chart with admissions so a bit of a toss up, maybe unlikely? USask and Dalhousie are possibilities at these numbers?

Schools that are a bit of a mystery:

Windsor and TMU. The holistic application process seems like educated guess-work in the absence of any kind of actual criteria? As a general category applicant, I just don't know how they will view my application.

Real uncertainty, possibly life on a wait-list:

This would be Osgoode. I found their published median stats for 2023 entry: GPA is 3.71 and LSAT is 81st percentile (which is why I listed my percentile rank above). The GPA is of course considered over all 4 years, so I've got a problem there. On the other hand, I'm 5 percentile ranks ahead of their median LSAT. The problem is this: unlike Dal or UVIC that give formulas for admission (50% gpa, 50% lsat etc) they also use the holistic process. Being a GTA school, they are well aware of U of T's well-earned reputation as being brutally difficult (the undergrad Arts class has a school mandated average of either C+ or B-) so I'm hoping they focus on the L2 part of the application. For personal reasons and because I wouldn't have to move, Osgoode would be the best school for me to go to, but I have no idea. Is the waitlist the best I can hope for at Osgoode?

Any input, comments on chances are much appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...
Chef Justice
  • Law Student

I think you pretty much nailed it with your analysis on your chances at each school.

UofT and UBC are highly unlikely. 

You'll get into one of Western, Queen's, Dalhousie, UofA or Ottawa. Your LSAT is high enough to makeup a lot of ground, especially at Ottawa. Your L2 meets what Western is looking for and your B2 is just a little lower than Queen's average. Dalhousie looks for similar stats to Western and Queen's, so you have a good shot there. Similar deal for UofA and Calgary.

You'll likely get into Windsor, USask and UMan.

I would lean more towards unlikely for UVic, as they are comparable to UBC. Their LSAT sits around the 89% percentile, so your LSAT will make up less ground there.

Osgoode is a maybe. As you mentioned, your CGPA is below their median but your LSAT is a few percentiles above their median. Some applicants each year with your stats get into Osgoode but plenty don't as well. A lot of this will likely come down to your PS.

TMU is anyone's guess.

Moosehead
  • Applicant

Thanks Chef. I got an A from Dal just before Christmas but I'm still waiting on everyone else. Wish Dal wasn't out of province, the more I look at the school the more I like it.