Higher stats than some accepted yesterday - did I mess up?

literallysliving

literallysliving
  • Applicant

3.7high / 17mid. I applied on the deadline (Nov 1st) and still haven't entered the queue. 

I know my GPA is slightly below the median of 3.8 something, but I saw lots of 3.7s accepted. And I really thought my LSAT would help. Average softs, average PS, pretty good LORs. I know it sounds a bit silly to question why I wasn't a FIRST ROUND PICK, and I should be patient, but I would appreciate some insight... do you think my applying late harmed me? I do not mean this in an entitled way, even if it is coming across like that. Basically I am wondering after you're at the stats threshold, is there some sort of rhyme or reason to the order people are accepted?

• Like 1

MyWifesBoyfriend
  • Law School Admit

Tough to gauge. Adcoms are a black box. I empathize with you though OP. While my stats are by no means 'slam-dunk-insta-accept' territory, I remember seeing early acceptances roll in for UVic and UBC and getting anxious as some of the acceptances seemed less competitive (I am by no means suggesting that they were though) relative to my profile. 

Either way, your stats are great, and I'd sit back and just wait - I am sure you'll get in by second wave at the latest. 

legallyblond23
  • Law School Admit

I don't think you can say you aren't a first round pick, until January.  The "first round" for most schools is through December, to my knowledge.  I was accepted last week to Ottawa U, and some people accepted yesterday have higher GPA's than me.   So I am not saying there is no rhyme or reason but you may still be in first round even if you weren't the first offer or set of offers.  As I keep reminding myself the vast majority of us will get acceptances in Jan-March, and an acceptance is an acceptance - once you are in, no one cares when you got it. Good luck, I am sure you will be totally fine. 

SuperHeroJD
  • Applicant
22 minutes ago, literallysliving said:

3.7high / 17mid. I applied on the deadline (Nov 1st) and still haven't entered the queue. 

I know my GPA is slightly below the median of 3.8 something, but I saw lots of 3.7s accepted. And I really thought my LSAT would help. Average softs, average PS, pretty good LORs. I know it sounds a bit silly to question why I wasn't a FIRST ROUND PICK, and I should be patient, but I would appreciate some insight... do you think my applying late harmed me? I do not mean this in an entitled way, even if it is coming across like that. Basically I am wondering after you're at the stats threshold, is there some sort of rhyme or reason to the order people are accepted?

I think this December round is for people who have already completed it their undergrad/with work experiences, etc. If you are still in your final year of undergrad so no need to stress. Your stats are good and you will be fine. 

I’m in the exact same boat as you + have a Masters and 3 years WE. I’m also not in the queue and applied earlier than the deadline if that helps! 

Not sure how the admissions work but like someone else said, the first round is far from over. I think we have another two weeks left and if not then, I’m sure you’ll hear by the second week. 

I do empathise though- this is all very confusing and the waiting is really hard! 

tobi
  • Law School Admit

Everyone starts in September. Go log out, do some holiday shopping, and keep expectations low and you know what? You'll be so very happy when you hear from them this month. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, literallysliving said:

if your 3.7 is per OLSAS, the you should be fine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, literallysliving said:

I know it sounds a bit silly to question why I wasn't a FIRST ROUND PICK, and I should be patient, but I would appreciate some insight... do you think my applying late harmed me? I do not mean this in an entitled way, even if it is coming across like that.

As someone who's been around a while, you don't sound entitled to me at all. You just sound way too anxious for your own good, which is an occupational hazard of being the smartest kid in the room for your whole life. I've seen a thousand of you on this board, and all thousand of them have been fine. You're going to be fine.

• Like 1

softhelawyerrr
  • Applicant

I was accepted to osgood Yesturday and still have not heard from Ottawa. I’m not sure it’s always perfectly linear based on stats.

literallysliving
  • Applicant
2 hours ago, Yogurt Baron said:

As someone who's been around a while, you don't sound entitled to me at all. You just sound way too anxious for your own good, which is an occupational hazard of being the smartest kid in the room for your whole life. I've seen a thousand of you on this board, and all thousand of them have been fine. You're going to be fine.

I just want to let you know this was so comforting. I really appreciate how kind this is.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

Shawunnssssiin

I applied on November 1st as well. Today, when I checked, I found myself in the "in queue" status as of December 8th. However, I've checked on the 8th and 9th, and there were no status updates. I suspect there might be a delay of one or two days in this status. Don't worry too much, and I hope we all have good luck.

helloworld123
  • Undergrad
On 12/8/2023 at 4:43 PM, softhelawyerrr said:

I was accepted to osgood Yesturday and still have not heard from Ottawa. I’m not sure it’s always perfectly linear based on stats.

Me too! Same boat. My personal statement to Ottawa was much stronger than the one to Osgoode, too. 

blue134
  • Applicant

I don't know if this helps or will make you feel better but I have lower stats than you (both gpa and lsat) and I entered the queue on 12/05/2023.

I was talking to someone who works in admissions about it and she said it doesn't really matter what order we enter the queue in, they are dealing with a huge volume of applications so its not entirely random but there is an almost random selection element to the queue and the review of applications. She said they can't review everything at once so they are just sort of dealing with what's in front of them in the moment. ---> based on that I wouldn't stress in your case your stats are really great and I mean I personally think you've got a really good shot with those numbers. 

I was accepted to Osgoode day one but Western a week after admission went out (and then when Western did accept me they offered me a near full ride scholarship). Queen's never even reviewed my application despite my stats being extremely competitive.

Bottom line, there's likely no magic explanation here. It also really doesn't matter if you're accepted day one or not. Don't let that define your enjoyment of things. Nip the bad habits of fixation in the butt now and it'll go a long way! Don't let acceptances define your enjoyment of things around you or celebrating others around you!  

Edited by Apple
  • Like 1

anon12345
  • Law Student
On 12/8/2023 at 4:43 PM, softhelawyerrr said:

Same here!

Dghoul
  • Applicant

I completely get the doubt that  "maybe I messed up somewhere in the application and that's why I am not getting my offer yet". I have the same feeling. But chances are you didn't mess anything up. It is impossible to delineate the admission process as a straightforward logical sequence. People with higher stats may very well be admitted later than some. And your stats are very well above the medium, including CGPA. So you are going to be fine. Remember you don't have to beat the median to get an admission. It is easier said than done, but try to relax. Chances are you will get the A. 

tobi
  • Law School Admit
20 minutes ago, Dghoul said:

I completely get the doubt that  "maybe I messed up somewhere in the application and that's why I am not getting my offer yet". I have the same feeling. But chances are you didn't mess anything up. It is impossible to delineate the admission process as a straightforward logical sequence. People with higher stats may very well be admitted later than some. And your stats are very well above the medium, including CGPA. So you are going to be fine. Remember you don't have to beat the median to get an admission. It is easier said than done, but try to relax. Chances are you will get the A. 

They got accepted to Osgoode today. A couple of days after they made this post.

• Like 1

Dghoul
  • Applicant
2 hours ago, tobi said:

They got accepted to Osgoode today. A couple of days after they made this post.

lol, and here I am trying to be supportive while not having an offer from Osgoode's 🤡

All is good.