Anyone with experience/knowledge of how admissions treats an upward trend GPA?

Law9729

Law9729
  • Applicant

Im a 4th year undergrad student at UBC who is thinking about applying to law school while a graduate student next year. I'm not going to even worry about my chances until I complete the LSAT, but my GPA is somewhat strange. I was very immature coming out of high school. Just not serious about my academics + took a while to adjust.

First year: 3.15ish

Second year: 3.65ish

Third year: 4.0

Fourth year (projected): 3.8ish

My cGPA will fall well below the median of accepted applicants (around 3.65). Will law schools be lenient towards my poor GPA (relative to other candidates) given the improvement? 

Bonus question: Is being a masters student at the time of application good for a holistic profile? All I know is they don't care about your grades in grad school but Im wondering if admissions would even consider it a positive.

Edited by Law9729

Excited0L
  • Applicant

Depends a lot on the schools you will be applying to. If you could reply back with the schools you are interested in I can give you a lot more insight and answer the specific questions in relation to the schools you are applying to. 

In general:

Some schools look at CGPA while others look at L2 or B2 or B3 or even B20 for your grades.

Based on your CGPA it actually isn't as bad as you think. Sure some schools it might be a bit of a problem but a good lsat will easily compensate. And for schools with B2/L2 or even B3 you have solid stats. 

1 hour ago, Excited0L said:

Depends a lot on the schools you will be applying to. If you could reply back with the schools you are interested in I can give you a lot more insight and answer the specific questions in relation to the schools you are applying to. 

In general:

Some schools look at CGPA while others look at L2 or B2 or B3 or even B20 for your grades.

Based on your CGPA it actually isn't as bad as you think. Sure some schools it might be a bit of a problem but a good lsat will easily compensate. And for schools with B2/L2 or even B3 you have solid stats. 

Obviously I would have to take the LSAT and set my expectations from there, but the goal would be to stay at UBC (obviously I would jump at the opportunity to go to UofT or Osgoode as well). Im from Alberta and currently live in BC so UAlberta, UCalgary, and UVic are also schools I have an interest in. 

For schools that do look at cGPA (like UBC) I suppose Im curious as to whether or not they would take stock of the upward trend. Of course Im not going to be a 3.9 CGPA applicant, but I wonder if they would take note that I got it together and excelled in advanced classes.

CheeseToast
  • Law Student
6 hours ago, The Law said:

the goal would be to stay at UBC (obviously I would jump at the opportunity to go to UofT or Osgoode as well).

Assuming you want to stay in BC long term I think you'd be insane to go to UofT or Osgoode unless money isn't an issue or you have compelling reasons otherwise. 

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
8 hours ago, The Law said:

Obviously I would have to take the LSAT and set my expectations from there, but the goal would be to stay at UBC (obviously I would jump at the opportunity to go to UofT or Osgoode as well). Im from Alberta and currently live in BC so UAlberta, UCalgary, and UVic are also schools I have an interest in. 

For schools that do look at cGPA (like UBC) I suppose Im curious as to whether or not they would take stock of the upward trend. Of course Im not going to be a 3.9 CGPA applicant, but I wonder if they would take note that I got it together and excelled in advanced classes.

I think you forgot to use your alt account there, bud.

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

Excited0L
  • Applicant
58 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

Lmao yeah um you can't be doing that 

Excited0L
  • Applicant

UofT you have a good shot because your B3 by next year will be around a 3.8ish and that's not much lower than the median GPA there. Aim for a 170+ and I don't think your GPA will hold you back at any school. For UBC I would need your percentage GPA with drops as I have seen GPAs shift a lot when they go from 4.0 scale to % and then with drops some people have really low grades and when they are dropped even if it is just a few classes your GPA can go up a % or two.

MyWifesBoyfriend
  • Law School Admit
1 hour ago, CleanHands said:
9 hours ago, The Law said:

Isn't this against the rules? 

chaboywb
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, CleanHands said:

OP got called out elsewhere for contradicting themselves so I guess resorted to assume (and then immediately forget about) a new identity. They also previously mentioned a "high LSAT" which is clearly not true.

I will never understand why people choose to lie in a mostly anonymous setting. 

• Thanks 1
  • LOL 2