Residence Applications and Timing (Osgoode)

MyWifesBoyfriend

MyWifesBoyfriend
  • Law School Admit

While Osgoode is by-and-far my top choice, I am still going to wait until ~March before committing. I was wondering if any current or previous Osgoode students would happen to know how quickly on-campus residences fill up? Esp. Osgoode Chambers and Passy Crescent? 

Would I be incurring an unnecessary disadvantage in applying for on-campus housing if I were to wait until March?  

Any further input re: on-campus housing would also be interesting. This thread makes it seem like an economical option for 1L: 

Edited by MyWifesBoyfriend

• MyWifesBoyfriend changed the title to Residence Applications and Timing (Osgoode)

It can fill up, but you generally have a fair amount of time (probably into the summer). Having said that, the more desirable units (1-bedrooms) will go quick.

I did all three years in passy and would recommend it, especially if you can grab one bedroom.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
anon12345
  • Law Student
On 12/21/2023 at 12:30 AM, LMP said:

It can fill up, but you generally have a fair amount of time (probably into the summer). Having said that, the more desirable units (1-bedrooms) will go quick.

I did all three years in passy and would recommend it, especially if you can grab one bedroom.

Do the pictures uploaded on the internet resemble the current units? I can't really find much information on anything about graduate housing.

1 hour ago, anon12345 said:

Do the pictures uploaded on the internet resemble the current units? I can't really find much information on anything about graduate housing.

Yeah there haven't been many changes, what you find online should give you a good idea of how it looks. 

SNAILS
  • Articling Student

I live in residence. It seems that there is quite a wait list, so apply ASAP and also make arrangement for a backup living arrangement.

I'm not sure if people who apply before the end of April get priority for 3L's moving out in April, but what I do know if there won't likely be vacancies in September 2024.

MyWifesBoyfriend
  • Law School Admit

Just out of curiosity; how does residency work during the Summer? Do you folks just sublet until school starts up again in the Fall? 

15 minutes ago, MyWifesBoyfriend said:

Just out of curiosity; how does residency work during the Summer? Do you folks just sublet until school starts up again in the Fall? 

Some people do. Others give it up and re-apply for a fall unit. Many more just give it up entirely and find housing off-campus. 

I kept my place during the summer. Worked fine because I could just commute downtown for work. But it'll depend where you find a summer position.

• Like 1

MyWifesBoyfriend
  • Law School Admit
1 minute ago, LMP said:

I kept my place during the summer

Didn't even know this was an option, thanks!

HeyItsJay02
  • Law Student

Hello everyone, on the topic of residence applications; I have officially firmly accepted to Osgoode and I am now looking at applying for residence. However, when trying to do so "MyFile" is asking for a York Student number. To the best of my knowledge, I have not received a student number. Potentally I am looking in the wrong place to apply, or I missed an email. Is anyone else having this issue, or does someone have a specific direction to point me in? Thanks.

MintGirly
  • Law School Admit
9 minutes ago, HeyItsJay02 said:

To the best of my knowledge, I have not received a student number. Potentally I am looking in the wrong place to apply, or I missed an email. Is anyone else having this issue, or does someone have a specific direction to point me in? Thanks.

Have you tried the student ID# at the top of your offer letter? I'm guessing that is the student number since its differs from my OASIS login credentials

• Like 1

HeyItsJay02
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, MintGirly said:

Have you tried the student ID# at the top of your offer letter? I'm guessing that is the student number since its differs from my OASIS login credentials

You are absolutely correct, I can't believe that I missed that! Thank you very much.

SNAILS
  • Articling Student
On 1/29/2024 at 3:05 PM, MyWifesBoyfriend said:

Kept it. My neighbor cancelled after 1L and was not bale to get back in when he reapplied.

Subletting is an option, but there is not much demand since everyone is gone for the summer. I did go back for a few days a few times in the summer, and I let some friends stay there overnight a few times when they were up for a baseball game or something. 

• 3 weeks later...
ellewoodswannabe123
  • Applicant

Hi Everyone! 

I'm trying to get my rez application in ASAP, but for some reason it won't let me sign in to the York SSO, does anyone know a way around this?

tobi
  • Law School Admit
55 minutes ago, ellewoodswannabe123 said:

Hi Everyone! 

I'm trying to get my rez application in ASAP, but for some reason it won't let me sign in to the York SSO, does anyone know a way around this?

Have you firm accepted?

ellewoodswannabe123
  • Applicant
31 minutes ago, tobi said:

Have you firm accepted?

yes! I have 🙂 

MyWifesBoyfriend
  • Law School Admit
1 hour ago, tobi said:

If it still doesn't let you, send me a message.

Or in the alternative, email or call the school. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
xiaomaomi
  • Law School Admit
On 2/20/2024 at 9:06 AM, tobi said:

https://apps4.sis.yorku.ca/Apps/WebObjects/AAS.woa/wa/DirectAction/student? Try applying from here. Just go through the prompts. If it still doesn't let you, send me a message.

I just created an account and might have seen a similar error message. It happens at https://housingportal.uit.yorku.ca/StarRezPortalX/16C508E3/40/206/Home-Home?UrlToken=00CB31F1, which is a public URL, and the error message is "Login to StarRez Portal failed. Reason: Login error." I cannot tell if it's because I did something wrong earlier or because data takes some time to populate into the student housing system. Based on my limited engineering knowledge, it might be the latter if ellewoodswannabe123 saw the same error...

By the way, Osgoode Chambers only has bachelor and 1B units, right? If that's the case, applying to a bachelor apartment sounds like a good option for me... 

ellewoodswannabe123
  • Applicant

Hi! Is 16 Passy Oz Chambers? I couldn't find the addresses of the buildings that are specifically for Oz 😕

• 1 month later...
Meryl
  • Law Student
On 3/4/2024 at 5:34 PM, ellewoodswannabe123 said:

Hi! Is 16 Passy Oz Chambers? I couldn't find the addresses of the buildings that are specifically for Oz 😕

Yeah I believe it’s 16 and 18.