JD English

RC51

Hello all,

Just wondering if some of the course in the JD program are taught in English? I am thinking about coming to UdM for an exchange during my 3L. Thank you!

Edited by RC51

GreyDude
  • Law Student

The JD at UdeM is a one-year add-on after the LL.B., designed to complete what's not covered in a civil law degree (so basically anything that's private law). So that's the first thing -- you'll want to make sure that you can get what you need from the program as a 3rd-year exchange student. I'm pretty sure you won't.

Now on the language, they do say in the materials about the JD program that you need English to do it. Now, I don't know for sure, but my experience as a student at UdeM is that everything is done in French (though you will hear a bit of English in the corridors). To be admitted to the program from an English institution, you have to pass a French exam. However, the JD at UdeM is not just in Canadian law but North American common law, which means US, and my assumption is that it includes a lot of untranslated American material. So: I think that the JD is probably offered 100% in French except for things like that, and I would be very surprised if any classes were offered in English. 

As evidence that it's almost certainly in French only, I noticed when checking the site for my answer that the web page about the JD in North American Common Law is not available in English. https://admission.umontreal.ca/programmes/juris-doctor-common-law-nord-americaine/structure-du-programme/. That site also makes it clear that admission to the program requires you to have already earned a first degree in law (but they seem to mean specifically civil law, so maybe an exception could be made, I don't know), and that you need to have good knowledge of English and French: https://admission.umontreal.ca/programmes/juris-doctor-common-law-nord-americaine/reglements/ .

Edited by GreyDude

On 12/23/2023 at 6:44 PM, GreyDude said:

The JD at UdeM is a one-year add-on after the LL.B., designed to complete what's not covered in a civil law degree (so basically anything that's private law). So that's the first thing -- you'll want to make sure that you can get what you need from the program as a 3rd-year exchange student. I'm pretty sure you won't.

Now on the language, they do say in the materials about the JD program that you need English to do it. Now, I don't know for sure, but my experience as a student at UdeM is that everything is done in French (though you will hear a bit of English in the corridors). To be admitted to the program from an English institution, you have to pass a French exam. However, the JD at UdeM is not just in Canadian law but North American common law, which means US, and my assumption is that it includes a lot of untranslated American material. So: I think that the JD is probably offered 100% in French except for things like that, and I would be very surprised if any classes were offered in English. 

As evidence that it's almost certainly in French only, I noticed when checking the site for my answer that the web page about the JD in North American Common Law is not available in English. https://admission.umontreal.ca/programmes/juris-doctor-common-law-nord-americaine/structure-du-programme/. That site also makes it clear that admission to the program requires you to have already earned a first degree in law (but they seem to mean specifically civil law, so maybe an exception could be made, I don't know), and that you need to have good knowledge of English and French: https://admission.umontreal.ca/programmes/juris-doctor-common-law-nord-americaine/reglements/ .

Thank you for your insight about the school. Its odd because on my schools transfer agreement with UdeM, English and French are listed for MdeM.

GreyDude
  • Law Student
On 12/29/2023 at 10:14 AM, RC51 said:

Thank you for your insight about the school. It’s odd because on my schools transfer agreement with UdeM, English and French are listed for MdeM.

It probably means you need both languages. As usual, the best suggestion I can offer is to write to UdeM faculté de droit (info-droit@umontreal.ca) and ask. And if I have gotten something wrong please let us all know here!

All the best.