Upgrading you GPA after graduating

Ocean

Ocean
  • Undergrad

I have a low cumulative GPA of under 3.0 and a low GPA for my L20. For my last 10 classes, I was able to improve my GPA however I am also hoping to take 10 more classes with U of C and Athabasca to improve my GPA for the L20 to around 3.4. (Will aim for higher but I want to have everything completed before September)

I have done an internship at a Big 4, two years at oil and gas, and another year-long internship. I have also been working full-time and have around 400 hours of volunteering work. 

Do you think taking these extra classes will help my application? I know my GPA is very low is there a chance I can be accepted into U of C for 2025? 

Edited by Ocean

• 2 weeks later...
sandibay
  • Law School Admit

I was in a similar situation as you (GPA jut above 3.0 and work experience) and got accepted to U of C. I was actually in the middle of taking some undergrad classes to boost my GPA when I got my acceptance, so I can't speak to much it helped, however I did that after getting advice from advisors at different law schools, including U of C, to do so. So I think it is a good idea.

• Like 1

e4bu
  • Law School Admit

After a couple cycles of rejections I took a year off and went back (online) to UBC and did six courses to work on improving my GPA. Between my last rejection and my acceptance to UCalgary this year the only things that changed were my GPA - which went I only increased from a 3.4 to a 3.5 - and some career progress which may have strengthened my softs (paired with what I think was a much stronger personal statement than I'd written in past cycles). Its impossible to say what exactly made the difference for my application, but improving my GPA even only by a point certainly didn't hurt it. In my experience it is a balancing act to determine what you can do to strengthen your application, and if you're confident in your softs, your LSAT, and can write a strong personal statement, improving your GPA might be the ticket. Best of luck!

• Like 1