Thinking about quitting articling.

rooster

rooster
  • Articling Student

Hi all. I'm an articling student about halfway through my placement. My articling experience has been terrible solely due to my principal, who has displayed very toxic behaviour throughout my placement. Examples of such behaviour include insulting me if I approach with questions (e.g. "what'd they teach you in law school?" or "this isn't law school office hours"), blowing up over small things (e.g. yelling the F-word when I made a small mistake that was easily fixable), making very inappropriate remarks about minority groups (e.g. "I don't understand the whole trans thing with this new generation"), and the list goes on... 

Suffice it to say, my mental health has been suffering and I've had enough. I'm looking to quit my current placement and finish my articles at a different firm. My question is, how difficult is it to secure a new position? Would this decision to leave my current placement prematurely be detrimental to my career? Would prospective firms view my decision in a negative way?

Appreciate any and all input. 

Hi Rooster, really saddening to hear that this has been your experience. No place should be like that - let alone a principal. Mentorship is critical in the early stages of your work. 

With respect to will leaving look negative or detrimentally impact your career, my view is that it won't. You're at the very beginning of your career and so there's not really much reputation that could be harmed by deciding to leave. So, if that's your primary concern, I don't think that's a reason to worry. You'll be just fine in the legal profession if you're hard working and capable of learning. 

Now, whether you decide you leave I think is something to give consideration to. Presumably, you are almost at the end of things. If that's the case your might just want to start applying for associate positions and skip the complexities with changing articling workplaces and then trying to secure an associate position. That said, if the environmental is really not one you can tolerate  then that's your answer there and nothing I have to say will really impact it. 

• Like 1

rooster
  • Articling Student
19 minutes ago, Apple said:

Now, whether you decide you leave I think is something to give consideration to. Presumably, you are almost at the end of things. If that's the case your might just want to start applying for associate positions and skip the complexities with changing articling workplaces and then trying to secure an associate position. That said, if the environmental is really not one you can tolerate  then that's your answer there and nothing I have to say will really impact it. 

Thanks for your input, Apple. Believe me it is very tempting to just stay and tough it out since I'm already halfway done. I know articling is rough for a lot of folks, and that's the thought that has kept me going this far... 

canuckfanatic
  • Lawyer

I agree with @Apple in that I doubt it'll impact your career. I have friends who switched employers during articles and nothing bad came of it in terms of reputation. 

The bigger issue is with your Law Society - you're going to want to get in touch with them re: switching articling jobs. In BC, the Law Society doesn't like it when students quit an articling job without having another lined up, and will make students re-start articling from the beginning if the student goes too long between jobs.

• Like 1

rooster
  • Articling Student
19 minutes ago, canuckfanatic said:

I agree with @Apple in that I doubt it'll impact your career. I have friends who switched employers during articles and nothing bad came of it in terms of reputation. 

The bigger issue is with your Law Society - you're going to want to get in touch with them re: switching articling jobs. In BC, the Law Society doesn't like it when students quit an articling job without having another lined up, and will make students re-start articling from the beginning if the student goes too long between jobs.

Thanks, Canuck. It's reassuring to hear that your friends were able to switch and maintain their reputation.

Luckily the Law Society in my province (Ontario) seems more forgiving than BC in this regard. I've been in contact with them, and they stated I'd receive credit for the months I've completed as long as the necessary forms are submitted. They also stated I'd have plenty of time to finish the remainder of my articles since candidates have 3 licensing years to complete all their requirements (before having to re-start or re-do anything).

canuckfanatic
  • Lawyer
27 minutes ago, rooster said:

They also stated I'd have plenty of time to finish the remainder of my articles since candidates have 3 licensing years to complete all their requirements (before having to re-start or re-do anything).

That's great! 

For anyone else reading this, LSBC requires that articling students "work full-time in the office of a principal for a continuous period of not less than nine months".

• Like 1

Psychometronic
  • Lawyer
5 hours ago, rooster said:

My question is, how difficult is it to secure a new position?

I know someone in BC who switched midway through for similar reasons. That person is a practicing lawyer now and doing what they love. The ease by which you can find a new placement will depend on your network and practice area. I suggest speaking with a practice advisor so you know what to watch out for if you decide to make the switch. 

All the best and sorry to hear this is happening to you. 

Edited by Psychometronic
  • Like 2