Passing the bar/succeeding in law school with a low lsat score

TrickyHunter

Goblin King
  • Law Student

FWIW, I scored a 166 on the lsat two days after being released from a  mental hospital and I routinely worry that I’m not cognitively up to scratch for law school. Self-doubt feels natural. It’s natural to feel like you don’t belong, that they made a mistake letting you in, especially when there’s good evidence to suggest that those feelings might be right. If it’s unnatural, I might have to start paying my therapist more, and that’s a no go. 

Some comforting news: people who don’t study for the lsat score between  145 and 153. So your raw cognitive abilities as tested by the lsat are on the lower end of average, assuming you barely studied. This makes the tenuous assumption that the folks who don’t study are just as inherently skilled as those who do. But it’s something I personally would cling to. 

Edited by Goblin King

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
17 minutes ago, Parker said:

One thing no one has really talked about yet is that an admissions committee admitted you, even with your LSAT score being the bottom 26th percentile. They clearly think you can succeed or at the very least that you have a better chance of succeeding then plenty of other applicants (that in all likelihood had a higher LSAT than you). I personally put a decent amount of faith into admissions committees - they do their best to judge all applicants and pick the best ones with little to no bias. 

By definition half the people law schools admit will be below average students, and Canadian law schools admit all kinds of idiots who become borderline incompetent lawyers due to the general policy of not failing anyone out of law school. Your faith in AdComms is misplaced. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Psychometronic
  • Lawyer
3 hours ago, TrickyHunter said:

Yeah part of my original question was whether people who score low in general should go to law school.

I think this has to be viewed on a case-by-case basis. People fumble on the LSAT for all sorts of reasons. If you spent months studying (with proper study methods) and continue to struggle with basic logical reasoning, then that would be an obvious red flag. Since this was basically a diagnostic score, no one knows. Maybe you're one of those people who'd improve by double digits if you studied. Or maybe you're not. 

It's rare to be admitted with a score in the 140s these days, especially given how competitive the last cycle was. Maybe admissions saw something in your application that indicates you might succeed in law school.

Parker
  • Law Student
10 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

By definition half the people law schools admit will be below average students, and Canadian law schools admit all kinds of idiots who become borderline incompetent lawyers due to the general policy of not failing anyone out of law school. Your faith in AdComms is misplaced. 

Students that are below average (bottom 50%) can be successful lawyers, depending on your definition of success. They won't get the best jobs or land on bay st. but there are plenty of below average lawyers that still have good jobs that they like. OP could (and their LSAT score indicates they likely will) end up being a below average student, but that doesn't mean that it's a mistake to go to law school. If that were the case, than 50% of all law school students are making a mistake. 

You're right, my faith could very well be misplaced, but I think people largely become incompetent lawyers because of lack of effort in law school (and later on in their jobs) because they can't fail out (which is an unfortunate policy), not because they never had any potential, are idiots by nature, and the school admitted them anyway. AdComms make mistakes and some idiots slip through, for sure, but I still think it's a positive indicator of OPs potential to succeed in law school that an admissions committee who's job it is to assess one's ability to succeed picked them over plenty of other applicants. 

• Like 1

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

@Parker I think for a huge number of people going to law school, particularly an Ontario school, is a mistake. It might not be 50%, but I think it’s >25%. That’s why I said there’s an interesting discussion to be had about whether someone should go to law school if they are more likely than not to be a below average student.

I also think you’re putting a weird emphasis on AdComms still. It’s trite to say that the AdComm thinks OP will be a better law student than the people they arent letting into their school. But that’s not really the question—the question is whether they will be a better law student than the other law students. For all we know, the AdComm let OP in expecting them to be in the bottom decile of the class. 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
  • Like 1

TrickyHunter

Everyone has actually been so helpful. I learned that I would likely pass law school and the bar. But I will probably be below-average to an average student. 

Now for an extreme change of topic, sorry. As a solid B student (hopefully not worse), will I have difficulty finding jobs in one of my three main interest areas? 

I am interested in:  

1. Labour and Employment Law (my M.A. is related to this)
  2. Criminal Law
  3. Health Law

Yogurt Baron
1 hour ago, Parker said:

AdComms make mistakes and some idiots slip through, for sure

I think a lot of this conversation - not just you - is conflating the idea of adcomms getting the best class they can (this happens!) with the idea that admission automatically means success.

I'm not an expert in law school admissions, but you know what I am an expert in? "American Idol". Every year, there's somebody completely hopeless who makes the Top 36, and then they're terrible, and then they get voted out, and then the internet explodes: "Well, why did the judges even put them in the Top 36 if they weren't any good?" And everyone gets all twisted up in, "It was all rigged!" But actually, what happens is, some years they only have 35 good singers. Or eight. Or...zero. And they've got to fill out the cast with somebody. "This person was honestly the 36th-best person they had" and "this person was honestly never going to be the next Kelly Clarkson" are not mutually exclusive.

I think adcomms admit the best classes they can; whether those students can all be Kelly Clarkson, I don't know.

• Like 3

Parker
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

@Parker I think for a huge number of people going to law school, particularly an Ontario school, is a mistake. It might not be 50%, but I think it’s >25%. That’s why I said there’s an interesting discussion to be had about whether someone should go to law school if they are more likely than not to be a below average student.

I also think you’re putting a weird emphasis on AdComms still. It’s trite to say that the AdComm thinks OP will be a better law student than the people they arent letting into their school. But that’s not really the question—the question is whether they will be a better law student than the other law students. For all we know, the AdComm let OP in expecting them to be in the bottom decile of the class. 

I do think it's very interesting discussion, and I think it changes student to student largely depending on what their goals are. 25% is a lot higher that I would have guessed but I usually defer to more experienced posters in these situations, like yourself.

It wasn't my intention, but I am putting a weird emphasis on AdComms, I can see that. I brought it up because no one had when I wrote the post and I do think it's a positive indicator that it's not a mistake to go to law school and I tend to like to add a positive (but realistic) note to these forums when I can. Factors like they're GPA and LSAT score are far greater indicators but it's still something that could maybe give OP some peace of mind. I definitely don't want OP (or anyone else in a similar situation) to think that just because they got admitted that means they're as equally skilled or likely to succeed as other law students. I think there is a good probability that OP will be a below average student, even with a lot of effort, but if they are ok with the opportunities that come from being a below average student and still want to be a lawyer, than I don't think it's a mistake. 

Edited by Parker
  • Like 1

Rashabon
  • Lawyer
20 minutes ago, TrickyHunter said:

Everyone has actually been so helpful. I learned that I would likely pass law school and the bar. But I will probably be below-average to an average student. 

Now for an extreme change of topic, sorry. As a solid B student (hopefully not worse), will I have difficulty finding jobs in one of my three main interest areas? 

I am interested in:  

1. Labour and Employment Law (my M.A. is related to this)
  2. Criminal Law
  3. Health Law

This may just be a nuance of language but I don’t think you “learned” those things. You heard opinions (generally well-reasoned ones) about your potential and your chances. But that shouldn’t be taken as a guarantee of any of those things. You will likely pass law school because almost everyone does, but don’t assume your relative placement or your chances on the bar. The key is you’ve heard your LSAT, as a predictor, is not positive, so you can go in eyes wide open and work hard to try and overcome the predictions.

• Like 3

TrickyHunter
Just now, Rashabon said:

This may just be a nuance of language but I don’t think you “learned” those things. You heard opinions (generally well-reasoned ones) about your potential and your chances. But that shouldn’t be taken as a guarantee of any of those things. You will likely pass law school because almost everyone does, but don’t assume your relative placement or your chances on the bar. The key is you’ve heard your LSAT, as a predictor, is not positive, so you can go in eyes wide open and work hard to try and overcome the predictions.

I would say that it was a nuance of language. I know the difference between opinions and facts. Most of the facts here relate to statistics that I already know from public sources like LSAC and some Canadian studies with results that showed that the LSAT is the only factor with any predictive validity for 1l grades.

• Like 1

TrickyHunter
11 minutes ago, Rashabon said:

And yes I will go in with eyes wide open because most of the unexplained variance in grades is probably effort which can't really be measured. 

GreyDude
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, realpseudonym said:

In any case, this was long and unsolicited. But we’re coming up on the next application cycle. And OP’s question – am I making a mistake – is something every law applicant should seriously ask themselves, at least for a minute. Because you can rest assured, the legal profession is going to ask for a lot of you.  

This is extremely helpful advice, offered with candor and wisdom. As someone who has been planning my application (as a mature student) since 2018, and just finishing up my PS this evening so reflecting carefully on my decision to apply, I just feel the need to say "thank you!"

Edited by GreyDude
  • Like 2

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

@Diplock I don’t think you’ve really thought through your objection to my comment about the bottom quartile. The idea that some students may be better off not going to law school is the logical extension of the idea that some number of law schools seats is ideal, and after that number the job prospects of graduates drop precipitously. 

Now you may argue that Canadian law schools are at equilibrium and thus there’s no precipitous drop (or even that the market is underserved and more law schools can be added without harming the worst graduates), but I don’t think you would disagree with the central idea that at some point, students are better off not going to law school than attending a bad law school in an over saturated market.  

Of course, the other part of this is that the disadvantage isn’t evenly spread out. I don’t think a bottom decile student at U of T is better off not attending law school, which is why I mentioned that the conversation depends largely on school options. 

• Like 2

Diplock
  • Lawyer
3 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

@Diplock I don’t think you’ve really thought through your objection to my comment about the bottom quartile. The idea that some students may be better off not going to law school is the logical extension of the idea that some number of law schools seats is ideal, and after that number the job prospects of graduates drop precipitously. 

Now you may argue that Canadian law schools are at equilibrium and thus there’s no precipitous drop (or even that the market is underserved and more law schools can be added without harming the worst graduates), but I don’t think you would disagree with the central idea that at some point, students are better off not going to law school than attending a bad law school in an over saturated market.  

Of course, the other part of this is that the disadvantage isn’t evenly spread out. I don’t think a bottom decile student at U of T is better off not attending law school, which is why I mentioned that the conversation depends largely on school options. 

@BQ - I'd prefer to avoid an extended debate on this subject, but even if I accept your premise that the legal profession is saturated to the point that it's a bad bet for those least likely to be employed after law school (and I don't) your suggestion that this should cause the least competitive admits to reconsider attending would only be true if one of two conditions are true. Either (a) that the least competitive graduates of law schools are genuinely not competent to practice at all. Or (b) that employment outcomes of law school correlate properly such that the most capable graduates have the greatest career prospects. And quite honestly, neither of those things are true.

It may be in some environments law schools are accepting so much over-enrollment that the graduates they are turning out are genuinely not capable of practicing law. Witness the dismal bar passage rates of some U.S. schools. But that's not happening in Canada. With rare exceptions, anyone graduating from a Canadian law school can practice law, given an opportunity to do so. And the ones who can't aren't failing due to a lack of basic ability. It's more likely to be mental health crises or the like that stop them - which doesn't preclude the possibility they could be very strong otherwise.

When it comes to career outcomes, the OP has already made this point clear without quite rubbing it in. He comes from a legal family. He's got the right connections. He will be employable exactly because, even if he turns out to be a below average law student, he's still got other advantages. Academic capability does not correlate directly with employability. There's some relationship, but it's far short of 1:1. If your suggestion is that the least likely to be employable law applicants should reconsider attending, that would at least make more logical sense. But then what you'd really be saying is that racialized persons with no networks and from non-traditional backgrounds should consider opting out, because those barriers are more likely to keep someone unemployed after graduation than a lower LSAT will. Note, I am NOT NOT NOT endorsing this position. Or implying that BQ is doing so. Only saying it would be more logically connected with BQ's starting assumptions than the conclusion he arrived at.

Bottom line, nothing is guaranteed in the legal profession, obviously, any more than any other profession. But it remains a good enough bet that anyone strong enough to get into law school - lacking some obvious other barrier to practice - is a strong prospect to find employment following. That could change based on new information. If that person is actually failing after 1L, it'd reconsider. But from a starting place of just knowing someone's admitted, I consider anyone a strong prospect to find a good career afterwards.

• Like 2

On 8/7/2021 at 4:53 PM, BlockedQuebecois said:

Canadian law schools admit all kinds of idiots who become borderline incompetent lawyers due to the general policy of not failing anyone out of law school.

7 hours ago, Diplock said:

Quite a lot of law is just doing the job, doing it properly and carefully, and simply giving a shit. A lawyer willing and able to do that, even one who is not good at on-the-spot creative problem solving, is probably going to be better than a lawyer who excels at puzzles but can't handle the grind.

Maybe it's that we're in retail law practices, but my experience has been the same as Diplock's.

At some point, it got around in my circles that I'll occasionally do incompetence of counsel JRs/appeals. The work is unpleasant enough that I'm unusual in my practice area, so I get referrals where there was shoddy work in the underlying applications. I'll see paralegal and foreign-trained lawyer work where the writing is awful and nothing they did makes sense. In those cases, I suspect they lack the intelligence for effective advocacy. But I haven't seen much of that from Canadian-trained lawyers. Sometimes it'll be an oversight. But more often than not it's what Diplock says: the work is shit, because the lawyer didn't give a fuck. They didn't spend enough time prepping witnesses, they didn't gather enough supporting evidence, and the submissions are boilerplate. To me, none of that points to a lack of intelligence,  because honestly, basic witness prep and somewhat on-point submissions don't require a lot of intelligence. They require a bit of time, and some mental engagement with the subject matter. Most Canadian grads should be able to do that, if they want to. 

• Like 5

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
3 hours ago, realpseudonym said:

Maybe it's that we're in retail law practices, but my experience has been the same as Diplock's.

At some point, it got around in my circles that I'll occasionally do incompetence of counsel JRs/appeals. The work is unpleasant enough that I'm unusual in my practice area, so I get referrals where there was shoddy work in the underlying applications. I'll see paralegal and foreign-trained lawyer work where the writing is awful and nothing they did makes sense. In those cases, I suspect they lack the intelligence for effective advocacy. But I haven't seen much of that from Canadian-trained lawyers. Sometimes it'll be an oversight. But more often than not it's what Diplock says: the work is shit, because the lawyer didn't give a fuck. They didn't spend enough time prepping witnesses, they didn't gather enough supporting evidence, and the submissions are boilerplate. To me, none of that points to a lack of intelligence,  because honestly, basic witness prep and somewhat on-point submissions don't require a lot of intelligence. They require a bit of time, and some mental engagement with the subject matter. Most Canadian grads should be able to do that, if they want to. 

So first, I should be clear that I’m not saying a huge portion of Canadian grads are incompetent or borderline incompetent. I have a percentage in mind, but sharing it is likely to cause more arguments than necessary. Let’s just say it’s quite low (and much lower than the 25% or so of students I think likely should consider other career paths—competent lawyers can still be better off doing something else). 

Second, though, there’s a reason I said borderline incompetent, not incompetent outright. The bar for competent counsel in the context of appeals or JR is so low that you’re right, most Canadian trained lawyers would clear it so long as they’re trying.

But I’ve seen a lot of Canadian trained lawyers who just didn’t get the law. Sure, they could string sentences together. But they would read a case that said X, then go and write a factum saying the case said Y. And it’s not that they were writing a factum arguing that even though the case seemed to say X, it actually said Y. They just full-heartedly believed that the case said Y. Or they would be working a case and miss some kind of foundational and incredibly important issue (a jurisdictional issue that is determinative of the whole matter, for instance).

My bar for borderline incompetence is higher than the case law’s definition of competence. It’s essentially “would I be okay with this person representing me in their field, assuming their representation was free”. The lawyers described in the above paragraph don’t hit that, even if they’d likely pass the competence of counsel test on appeal.

As a final note, I would add that I value both your and Diplock’s perspective on this, even if we disagree. I recognize that I have more extreme opinions on these issues than most, and I appreciate the well thought out responses. 

• Like 2

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

-Snip-

I think there are two questions to distinguish here that are getting muddled together a tad:

1) Is it a good idea for someone who would make a borderline incompetent lawyer to go to law school for that candidate personally?

2) Is it a good idea for someone who would make a borderline incompetent lawyer to go to law school for society more broadly?

And those are questions that often have different answers, as I am aware of a significant number of lawyers (many Canadian educated although certainly abject incompetence is a more widespread issue among NCA lawyers) who themselves are able to a make a good living and have a respectable career (at least to those outside the field or who aren't familiar with the quality of their work) but who routinely do a terrible disservice to their clients (who by and large lack the knowledge and ability to distinguish between good and bad representation).

In my limited legal experience thus far I've done some ineffective assistance of counsel appellate work myself but (as you allude to) for every file where that's an actual debatable grounds for appeal (@realpseudonym I agree that from what I've seen in these cases it's more common for lawyers to have simply not done their jobs as a result of substance abuse or mental health issues, rather than actually doing the work terribly) there are a hundred dime a dozen instances of just bad work that wouldn't rise to that level.

• Like 1

CoconutWater
On 8/7/2021 at 1:42 AM, CleanHands said:

...But if the LSAT means anything and has any application to the practice of law (and I think anyone who claims it does not is fooling themselves), it is going to be a hell of a lot harder and require a hell of a lot more work being a lawyer who has to make use of every imaginable resource before fully grasping a concept than it will be to be a lawyer who can read a statute, case or other source and immediately comprehend the nuances of it (if the former person wants their work products to match the quality of the latter's).

Ignorance of someone who didn't have to work hard to get a good LSAT score. If a person went from 135 to 170 and used every possible resource to do that, they have accumulated the necessary skills to achieve that score. Which include reading comprehension, pattern recognition, seeing nuance in arguments, and whatever skills other 170 test takers have to achieve this score.

I would even argue this person has developed skills and mental fortitude in resoucefulness and dedication. Characteristics I would want in a lawyer who represented me.

Your skills don't just magically disappear because you worked harder to attain those skills.

Edited by CoconutWater

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
33 minutes ago, CoconutWater said:

Ignorance of someone who didn't have to work hard to get a good LSAT score. If a person went from 135 to 170 and used every possible resource to do that, they have accumulated the necessary skills to achieve that score. Which include reading comprehension, pattern recognition, seeing nuance in arguments, and whatever skills other 170 test takers have to achieve this score.

I would even argue this person has developed skills and mental fortitude in resoucefulness and dedication. Characteristics I would want in a lawyer who represented me.

Your skills don't just magically disappear because you worked harder to attain those skills.

Meh. I can answer 95% of logic game questions in my head without diagraming. I don't think most people who had to work to go from 135 to 170 can magically do that—they've just learned strategies to make up for the fact that they're inherently less good at logic games than I am. 

So you're right. The skills don't just magically disappear. They just never existed in the first place. 

• Like 1

CoconutWater
5 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Meh. I can answer 95% of logic game questions in my head without diagraming. I don't think most people who had to work to go from 135 to 170 can magically do that—they've just learned strategies to make up for the fact that they're inherently less good at logic games than I am. 

So you're right. The skills don't just magically disappear. They just never existed in the first place. 

So they might have strategies you aren't even aware of. The point is, both have the skills necessary to get the score and both will have the skills to do the work required. 

• Like 1

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
1 minute ago, CoconutWater said:

So they might have strategies you aren't even aware of. The point is, both have the skills necessary to get the score and both will have the skills to do the work required. 

People who can intuitively get in the 170s with little effort actually have the relevant cognitive skills being tested for. People who need to spend a year doing 100 prep tests, reading half a dozen different brands of prep books, and attending private tutoring, have just learned how to game a very specific test for a few hours despite their limited faculties. Their innate abilities haven't changed.

• Like 1

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
13 minutes ago, CoconutWater said:

This really isn't a novel or interesting argument. People who have had to work to do well are always of the opinion that they're actually just as smart as the people who didn't have to work, and that's always been a dumb argument. It assumes that the non-workers are actually unable to do work (rather than it just not being necessary), or that even if they did the work they wouldn't improve. Those are both obviously dumb assumptions. 

At ten years old, Magnus Carlson had a 1645 ELO rating. My ELO rating is about 1200. With a lot of work, I could probably get myself up to a 1645 ELO rating. But Magnus Carlson would still be a better chess player than me, because ten year old Magnus hasn't had to do a ton of work and he's as good as I am. And if Magnus did do that work, Magnus would improve (likely faster than I could, because as mentioned, he's much better at chess). As a spoiler, Magnus did do some work, and within a year he was candidate master with a 2127 ELO ranking—a ranking I almost certainly could never reach. 

The fact that I could match 10 year old Magnus Carlson's ELO rating does not mean I'm as good at chess as Magnus Carlson. The fact that you can hit a 170 LSAT after a ton of work does not mean you are as good at the LSAT as someone whose diagnostic was a 170. 

• Like 2

CoconutWater
4 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

People who can intuitively get in the 170s with little effort actually have the relevant cognitive skills being tested for. People who need to spend a year doing 100 prep tests, reading half a dozen different brands of prep books, and attending private tutoring, have just learned how to game a very specific test for a few hours despite their limited faculties. Their innate abilities haven't changed.

You didn't just have an innate ability to recite the alphabet or do simple arithmetic. These skills were taught.

Innate ability can only be truly measured if we were all taught the same things from the getgo, K to 12. Even then, innate ability can be disputed because of environmental factors at home.

Perhaps the person who worked hard never learned nor utilized the skills in question. Whereas the person with "innate ability' had a mom who was a doctor and a dad who was a lawyer who put them in private school and taught them the skills to make themselves believe they have some sort of innate abilities that others can't learn.

• Thanks 1