1L Summer Job Hunt

CanLawHopeful

CanLawHopeful
  • Law School Admit

Hi all,

Looking for advice! I'm a 1L and beginning to start my search for a summer job. Though I will be participating in the 1L Calgary recruit, I understand it's competitive and so want a plan B in the event that doesn't work out. Wondering how others here navigated the job search while in 1L:

1. Is it wise to be applying to non-firm roles prior to the 1L recruit? Or, in the event I am unsuccessful in the firm recruit, should I just start looking for other work after Offer Day (or will it be too late by then - end of February?)
2. Is there a timeframe when most non-biglaw summer roles are posted? I took a glance online and it doesn't seem that many summer legal jobs are available. Are these employers waiting for 1L grades to be released before they seek to hire, or are there just not many legal roles outside the ones that the firms offer?

3. What kind of law-adjacent roles should I be targeting for summer, in the event I don't land with a firm? I am considering compliance roles, industry in-house summer student jobs, or a RAship with a professor. Is there anything else I should be considering?

Thank you!

Whist
  • Law Student
On 1/5/2024 at 11:02 AM, CanLawHopeful said:

Hi all,

Looking for advice! I'm a 1L and beginning to start my search for a summer job. Though I will be participating in the 1L Calgary recruit, I understand it's competitive and so want a plan B in the event that doesn't work out. Wondering how others here navigated the job search while in 1L:

1. Is it wise to be applying to non-firm roles prior to the 1L recruit? Or, in the event I am unsuccessful in the firm recruit, should I just start looking for other work after Offer Day (or will it be too late by then - end of February?)
2. Is there a timeframe when most non-biglaw summer roles are posted? I took a glance online and it doesn't seem that many summer legal jobs are available. Are these employers waiting for 1L grades to be released before they seek to hire, or are there just not many legal roles outside the ones that the firms offer?

3. What kind of law-adjacent roles should I be targeting for summer, in the event I don't land with a firm? I am considering compliance roles, industry in-house summer student jobs, or a RAship with a professor. Is there anything else I should be considering?

Thank you!

I worked non-recruit legal jobs both summers in Alberta, so hopefully this helps. 

1. What kinds of non-firm roles? If you mean applying to dishwasher jobs I'd wait until after the recruit. For other legal summer roles, if you're interested in them and would consider them as desirable or more to a recruit role, apply early. Given that the 1L recruit is quite selective compared to the 2L recruit, as you know, I would apply to them anyway in your shoes even if you might get a decision before the recruit is done. But that is ultimately up to you.

2. I found most were posted mid-January until mid-April. I got my 1L summer one pretty late within that time frame but for 2L summer it was on the earlier end. I'd say February and March probably had the most. Just keep checking your school's job board and cold emailing if there are places of particular interest you want to pitch to. Non-recruit legal jobs may be smaller offices, have fewer resources, or be more slow-moving administratively than the usual participants in the official recruits, so may not be able to confirm whether they have resources to hire someone as soon.

3. RAships are pretty popular, clinic jobs are another good option. In-house-esque roles come up from time to time (without doxing myself, I did something like this). You should also consider that you might not get a legal role for 1L summer. It's great if you do, but not a huge deal if you don't. That being said, getting a legal summer job generally is easier than the recruit itself, so just keep applying and something will probably come your way. 

• Like 1