UBC over Osgoode and UofT?

helloworld123

helloworld123
  • Undergrad

I’ve been struggling with this dilemma ever since I sent out my law school applications. I’ve been accepted to Osgoode and UofT in my home province of Ontario, however I’m uncertain if I should attend either of them should I be accepted to UBC. I’ve looked at this issue every which way and would appreciate your perspectives, even if anecdotal. 

Over the past 8 years I’ve studied and worked in a niche and Ontario-specific field, where I left an excellent impression on various members of the industry. I have an invitation to return to a law firm in this field, which is a well-known pipeline to full-service and big law firms as well as a fantastic place to work in its own right. I love working in this field and can see a clear trajectory forward. 

The issue is my lifestyle outside of work. As petty as it might sound to some, I genuinely find myself feeling dread (and possibly the first twinges of burnout) at the thought that I’ll be spending my miniscule free time in the GTA if I stay in this province. I’ve done my best to integrate to Toronto and [suburb] life, but am lukewarm towards the concerts, clubbing, restaurants, sports games, shopping, etc etc etc which my friends enjoy about living here. I come from a small town and would easily spend all of my free time hiking, camping, and kayaking if I could. I miss nature. I’m fine with brutal hours, the up-or-out aspect of this career, life in a shoe box, but not with staying in the GTA. 

Option A is to relocate to British Columbia should I be accepted to UBC. If I decide to relocate later in my career, I’d need to restart my network from scratch anyway and would lose more than if I relocate now. Relocating sooner rather than later will also look more attractive to BC employers, and plenty of students start law school in a province where they have no connections without any problems. Though I would need to find another area of law I enjoy, I believe I would be happy living in British Columbia. 

Option B is to go to Osgoode or UofT, work at my past employer for 1L, then try to relocate to Vancouver for either 2L or articling. Remain in Ontario if those options fail and make the best of it. This choice would give me the most options, but I likely will encounter issues with landing a position in BC due to its smaller market, local competition, and a lack of meaningful ties to the province, so it could just be a pipe dream. 

Option C is to go to Osgoode or UofT and find a compromise between work and lifestyle by trying to get a small town job. 

I realize that these options are fairly evenly balanced and that this honestly comes down to the age-old dilemma of security vs trying something new. Has anyone been in the same boat? What did you choose?

P.S. Apologies if this post comes off as melodramatic and yes, I'm hoping UBC rejects me so I don't have to choose. If you think you know me IRL... no you don't.  XD

Edited by helloworld123

thrill
  • Law Student

If you really want to end up in BC long term, go to UBC. I assume you've been to BC before and know this is a serious decision and not something made on a whim.

MissRepresented
  • Lawyer

If you are from Ontario with no BC ties and attend an Ontario law school (but with the ultimate desire to live in BC), you will have an uphill battle in the Vancouver recruit convincing BC firms you’re not a flight risk. Your first step to try and counter that would be to go to law school in BC. 

2easy
  • Applicant

By the sounds of it, you've made up your mind and are looking for someone to talk you out of it. Life is to short, go to UBC.

Also, worst case you do not like BC and just finish your law degree out and go back to your niche field in Ontario and due law for them.

Edited by 2easy