does NCR count in GPA calculations?

The Cola Litigator

The Cola Litigator
  • Applicant

basically did bad in a course in 2nd year. Got an F. It turned out I have a mental illness, one that is treatable. After I began treatment, I have been  doing great in my classes and have been a lot better in my academic and personal life. my uni advisor suggested that given the circumstances I could consider changing the course to an NCR and that I had a good case, especially since I have shown improvement and that the disorder is under control. 

My question is would the NCR be of value? would OSLAS not just count the NCR as a 0.00 in GPA calculations. I believe that is what US schools do. I have a feeling  Canadian law schools may not include it since they say on the website: 

We do not include the following in GPA calculations:

“Challenge for credit” courses.

Courses a specific grade is not given for (e.g., a “Pass” grade).

but they also do say: 

We include the following in GPA calculations:

All courses and marks, including failed, incomplete, repeated and supplementary courses, and courses extra to degree requirements. 

https://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/olsas-gpa-calculations/

Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

Edited by The Cola Litigator

scooter
  • Law Student

You should just ask OLSAS directly.

My guess is that it isn't counted toward the GPA, based on what it says on the OLSAS website. However, schools will still see the NCR because they also get a copy of your full transcript.

Renerik
  • Law Student

It'll depend on the school, but Fs and NCRs are generally treated the same for Canadian law school admissions purposes.

The Cola Litigator
  • Applicant
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Renerik said:

It'll depend on the school, but Fs and NCRs are generally treated the same for Canadian law school admissions purposes.

Are you sure it depends on the school? I understand that an NCR can be perceived badly when a school looks at the transcript holistically. However I thought in regards to GPA calculation, it is OSLAS that decides what counts and doesnt count since it is their scale that every law school is using.

Edited by The Cola Litigator
typo

Renerik
  • Law Student

I was trying to widen the scope of my answer. OLSAS, and schools outside of OLSAS, generally treat NCRs as fails. While not determinative, here's an example (1) where someone reported having lower GPAs than expected because OLSAS considered their NCR as part of the GPA calculation.

When a CR is awarded for a class, it can represent a value ranging from D to A - it's difficult to quantify a CR so it's omitted from the GPA calculation. An NCR means you failed, which is easy to quantify. That's why OLSAS doesn't include "Courses a specific grade is not given" (CR) while they do include those that were "failed" [NCR].

The Cola Litigator
  • Applicant
2 hours ago, Renerik said:

. An NCR means you failed, which is easy to quantify. That's why OLSAS doesn't include "Courses a specific grade is not given" (CR) while they do include those that were "failed" [NCR].

This is a very good argument. you make good points and I am gonna go with the assumption that NCR counts as a 0.00. your example was nice and believable given the context, but at the end of the day a reddit post is just a reddit post. they did not even bother to update the post with what their gpa was after it supposedly disappeared. I am going to call OSLAS in the morning and see if I can get a solid answer. will update on here. But thanks alot for the info. 

The Cola Litigator
  • Applicant
3 hours ago, Renerik said:

I was trying to widen the scope of my answer. OLSAS, and schools outside of OLSAS, generally treat NCRs as fails. While not determinative, here's an example (1) where someone reported having lower GPAs than expected because OLSAS considered their NCR as part of the GPA calculation.

When a CR is awarded for a class, it can represent a value ranging from D to A - it's difficult to quantify a CR so it's omitted from the GPA calculation. An NCR means you failed, which is easy to quantify. That's why OLSAS doesn't include "Courses a specific grade is not given" (CR) while they do include those that were "failed" [NCR].

do you mind also explaining a bit more on what you meant by "it depends on the school." you points here seem to argue more that all schools will count them as fails since you are referring to OSLAS interpretation and did not say much about how it would vary by school. 

The Cola Litigator
  • Applicant
On 1/7/2024 at 11:34 PM, Renerik said:

I checked in with oslas. they said it depends on your own undergraduate schools transcript key and how they define a NCR. It most cases NCR counts as a fail.