UofT vs Osgoode vs UCalgary (International Tax Planning)

peanutmochi

peanutmochi
  • Applicant

Hello!

I'm having a hard time deciding which school to attend, and it would be great to have your insights on this. I cold emailed some lawyers in this niche but have very little connections in the legal field overall. 

Currently working towards my CFA, I would love to pursue International Tax Planning / Estate Planning / Wealth Management, or areas like Restructuring. From what I know, it's pretty niche and most firms will be concentrated in Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary. Relocating for a few years is not a problem, but ideally I would like my career to end up in Calgary (family is in Alberta + Banff for the soul)

Based on my impressions:

Osgoode

• Specialized stream for tax 
  • Seem to have an active student tax community
  • Good "reputation" if it matters
  • Lots of fun clinical programs

UofT

• Strongest international recognition and name value (?)
  • Strong private practice presence 
  • Pass-Honour grading system (apparently it's a little less stressful, but obviously will still need to work hard)
  • Most expensive to complete (tuition + relocation + living)

UCalgary

• Innovative Calgary curricular with strong hands-on focus 
  • Strongest connection to the Calgary market 
  • Tax courses are not as prominent, and for the tax field seems like many associates and partners have degrees outside of Alberta too. 

I am leaning the most towards Osgoode for its specialized tax education and mid-ranged price. To make up for its location, I plan to summer in Calgary (either Calgary firms or firms that have Calgary offices) and use that chance to physically network. That being said, UCalgary have the location advantage and UofT has its brand value. Any insights will be appreciated! 

On 1/8/2024 at 2:33 AM, peanutmochi said:

Hello!

I'm having a hard time deciding which school to attend, and it would be great to have your insights on this. I cold emailed some lawyers in this niche but have very little connections in the legal field overall. 

Currently working towards my CFA, I would love to pursue International Tax Planning / Estate Planning / Wealth Management, or areas like Restructuring. From what I know, it's pretty niche and most firms will be concentrated in Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary. Relocating for a few years is not a problem, but ideally I would like my career to end up in Calgary (family is in Alberta + Banff for the soul)

Based on my impressions:

Osgoode

• Specialized stream for tax 
  • Seem to have an active student tax community
  • Good "reputation" if it matters
  • Lots of fun clinical programs

UofT

• Strongest international recognition and name value (?)
  • Strong private practice presence 
  • Pass-Honour grading system (apparently it's a little less stressful, but obviously will still need to work hard)
  • Most expensive to complete (tuition + relocation + living)

UCalgary

• Innovative Calgary curricular with strong hands-on focus 
  • Strongest connection to the Calgary market 
  • Tax courses are not as prominent, and for the tax field seems like many associates and partners have degrees outside of Alberta too. 

I am leaning the most towards Osgoode for its specialized tax education and mid-ranged price. To make up for its location, I plan to summer in Calgary (either Calgary firms or firms that have Calgary offices) and use that chance to physically network. That being said, UCalgary have the location advantage and UofT has its brand value. Any insights will be appreciated! 

I'll agree that Osgoode is a good choice for tax, though my experince was limited to just one course. Friends who deep dived into the subject seem very well served by it and found a great deal of success. We also have quite a few tax courses, though I can't say for sure if it is more than other schools. 

As for your plan, I think it makes sense. Calgary firms sometimes are suspicious of folks coming from out of province, but that won't be the case for you. 

There is probably some advantage to saving money by staying in Calgary, but if you'd enjoy the sojourn and value the extra tax courses, you'll be very happy at Osgoode. 

• Like 1

peanutmochi
  • Applicant
On 1/14/2024 at 1:57 AM, LMP said:

I'll agree that Osgoode is a good choice for tax, though my experince was limited to just one course. Friends who deep dived into the subject seem very well served by it and found a great deal of success. We also have quite a few tax courses, though I can't say for sure if it is more than other schools. 

As for your plan, I think it makes sense. Calgary firms sometimes are suspicious of folks coming from out of province, but that won't be the case for you. 

There is probably some advantage to saving money by staying in Calgary, but if you'd enjoy the sojourn and value the extra tax courses, you'll be very happy at Osgoode. 

Thanks for the insights. It's reassuring to hear about your friends' success. Sounds like you're in an upper year at Osgoode? I've just firmly accepted the offer. Hope to bump into you there!

2 hours ago, peanutmochi said:

Thanks for the insights. It's reassuring to hear about your friends' success. Sounds like you're in an upper year at Osgoode? I've just firmly accepted the offer. Hope to bump into you there!

Sadly this is my last semester! But if you have any questions about Osgoode, I am more than happy to help.

omigone
  • Law Student

The tax stream at Osgoode is just okay. I've taken multiple tax courses here and have found it average to underwhelming. 

If I were in your position I would either choose UCalgary (for the best chances to get a law firm job in the Calgary market) or UofT (for its high placement rates in Toronto and reputation). Anecdotally, I have heard of quite a few people from Calgary that went to UofT law and summered/articled back at home in Calgary. 

If I were you @peanutmochi, I would pick the best law school you can get into (UofT) or choose the local route in Calgary. Also with UofT's financial aid package, the price between UofT and Osgoode is substantially similar (whereas Osgoode's bursary program is quite limited). You can see what financial aid you'd get from UofT right here (https://www.law.utoronto.ca/financial-aid-estimator). Osgoode on the other hand, tends to give most students who apply a bursary of $1500-$5000.C0558AC2-62AE-4501-8B13-09E7C1C489A9.webp.838fe0810a509b12c04e3a9f8b41a575.webp

I'm not putting down Osgoode in any way here - I've had an excellent time at the school but acknowledge that attending law school (for those with big law aspirations) is a numbers game. I'd personally choose to maximize my odds of getting a Bay Street/big law position by going to UofT law.

Edit: Whoops saw you just firmly accepted Osgoode. Ignore the above and welcome!

Edited by omigone