How important are grades when applying for junior associate positions after getting called to the bar?

CoffeeLover200

CoffeeLover200
  • Law Student

Current 3L. I have an articling job lined up however the employer does not consider students for automatic hireback and I will be applying for junior associate positions once I get called to the bar. How much do employers value law school grades when it comes to hiring fresh calls vs legal experience (summer/articling experience, clinic experience, etc)? 

Thanks! 

Dinsdale
  • Lawyer

BigLaw will still want to see your grades and will put some weight on them.  Can't speak for smaller employers.  It would likely vary, and be "all over the map". Best of luck!

• Like 1

Lawstudents20202020
  • Lawyer

I work at a midsized firm in a secondary market, my grades definitely assisted me when I was interviewing as a second year call. The further out you get the less they matter.

• Like 1

Aschenbach
  • Lawyer

I had to apply for a junior associate position after articles as I did not get hired back and my grades were definitely considered.

• Like 1

canuckfanatic
  • Lawyer

As a 3rd year call I was asked for my transcripts for associate roles, but not for in-house roles.

• Like 1

CoffeeLover200
  • Law Student

Thanks everyone for the responses! This is good to know. I definitly won't take my foot off the pedal this last semester then.