Post-Articling Jobs and etc.

Billy

Billy
  • Applicant

Hey all, I'm halfway through articling and I have passed both bar exams. I just wanted to know from your experience or thoughts, when would it be a good time to start applying for first year positions as an alternative way just in case I don't get hired back. 

Also, if we were to apply during our articling period, how do we go about for interviews. Do we take a day off? Conduct the interview in your work office? 

Do firms hire associates with only articling experience? Is it difficult to switch fields post-articling? 

Any thoughts are much appreciated, thank you folks! 

canuckfanatic
  • Lawyer
2 hours ago, Billy said:

I just wanted to know from your experience or thoughts, when would it be a good time to start applying for first year positions as an alternative way just in case I don't get hired back. 

In general you don't start applying elsewhere unless (a) you've been told you're not being hired back, or (b) you've personally decided that you don't want to stay where you are.

Your firm should inform you about whether they're hiring you back 1-2 months before your articling ends so that you have time to job hunt. If, with 6 weeks left in your articles, they haven't told you, ask them.

• Like 1

Dinsdale
  • Lawyer

I don't think there would be much point to applying for first year positions at this point, because firms are not going to know what their needs are until they make decisions on their own articling students.  Or, to put it more bluntly, you're way too early.  Firms occasionally hire first-year laterals with only articling experience, if they have additional needs after placing their own students, but it is not what you would call a robust market.