ONCA Clerkship Interview Chances

A Moving Potato

A Moving Potato
  • Law Student

I'm applying for an ONCA clerkship this cycle and will be hoping to do the clerkship after my articles. I have the Dean's recommendation as well as strong reference letters from established faculty at my school.

My grades are consistently high, except this past semester, I ended up getting a B- in a course. This is one of 3 B grades I have received throughout law school (B, B, B-). All other grades have been in the A range and I am in the top 10%.

My question is, will this affect my chances of receiving an interview? It's obviously not a good thing, especially with it being my most recent grade, but in light of all the other factors I have, will I at least be able to get through the door to an interview? My other courses were great (A+ grades), but they might not show up on the transcript in time for me to apply.

Thanks for your thoughts. I just need a reality check because I'm being a bit neurotic lol.

HarryCrane
  • Articling Student

I'll have an appellate clerkship - not ONCA - but heres my take based on my things I picked up in my interview and conversations with others who completed a clerkship.

Judges have all gone to law school, so they get it. They get that that sometimes you have a bad day on an exam, or maybe didn't mesh well with the profs teaching style etc. They are looking for a base level of academic ability (which you likely have demonstrated with your previous grades and probably this semesters once you get your other marks back). They need to know that you have the ability to do legal research and write really well. After that they are looking at "fit" and whether you will be an "ambassador" (I had a justice use that word in an interview when they were saying what they were looking for, essentially will you think you are better than those who didn't clerk or will you be an active and productive member of the bar/community).

I don't think a single B- will nuke your application, but I do think they will likely ask about the grade, so you'll want an answer for it.

• Like 2

The good news is that you can’t do anything about it now, and you should have your answer shortly. Good luck!

• Like 1

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

To be brutally honest, given ONCA's increasing competitiveness in recent years and their strong preference for 3L students, I would think that three B-range grades would make getting an interview an uphill climb as a 2L. 

You may still get an interview (or even an offer), particularly if you are a very strong candidate for other reasons. But the thing to remember in assessing your chances is that everyone interviewed will have exceptionally strong grades, their dean's recommendation, and strong reference letters, so you need something unique in your application to stand out and overcome weaker grades. 

With that said, you should: (i) apply; (ii) send in an updated transcript once all your grades are available, assuming they aren't reflected in the version you apply with; and (iii) apply next year, even if you aren't selected for an interview this year.

• Like 2