Osgoode vs UOttawa

lawschoolak

lawschoolak
  • Law School Admit

Accepted to both Osgoode and UOttawa from Eastern Canada. 

Very torn between both as Ottawa is much more appealing in terms of finances, however Osgoode is so well regarded. 

I’m highly interested in personal injury and unsure where I’d like to settle down in the future. Honestly just feeling conflicted about where to accept. 

Does anyone have any insight/advice? 

Thanks! 

For PI, there's not real reason to pay more at Osgoode. In fact I've been pretty dissapointed with our PI/Insurance offerings. 

I think Ottawa might be the better choice for you. Though I will say Osgoode does keep more doors open (to an extent) should you change your mind. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

itsme
  • Law Student

I can’t speak to the quality or quantity of Osgoode’s course offerings on PI / Insurance, though someone else has weighed in. 

However, I’m inclined to agree with the above suggestion. I have yet to be “wowed” by my experience at Osgoode, and I’m not sure the price tag is justified. 

UOttawa also seems ascendant, while there’s probably an argument that Osgoode is stagnating. While @LMP is right that Osgoode will open certain doors, that’s probably also true about UOttawa if, for instance, you have any small interest in working for the feds, etc. 

• Thanks 1

apricus
  • Law Student

I'm a current 2L at UOttawa, and I am very happy with my experience. I am actually (in hindsight) very glad I didn't pay the extra $15,000+ tuition and living costs at Osgoode. I am not "wowed" here either, but I was also not disappointed in any way, and don't think I missed out on any opportunities offered to students from other schools. 

• Thanks 1

chaboywb
  • Lawyer

I chose Ottawa over Osgoode because I wanted to live in Ottawa more than North York. I enjoyed my school experience and have zero regrets because I am very happy with how my career has turned out. That said, I landed a Bay Street position in the 2L recruit. The same cannot be said for many other uOttawa students who struck out. Knowing what I know now, I likely would choose Osgoode if I was starting again and knew 100% that I wanted to be a Toronto corporate lawyer, because the numbers are simply more favourable coming from Osgoode.

For PI, however, I don't think either school will give you a particular leg up over the other. Think about where you want to spend the next few years and beyond.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

goodisgood
  • Law Student

I attended the common law program at uOttawa and am finishing up my last year at Osgoode. If you're not planning to go into something like corporate law where Osgoode has an edge, I would recommend uOttawa. The level of instruction has seemed relatively similar (both have many great profs, some good profs, some ok profs). 

I think the campus at Osgoode is less stuffy (much more windows, feels newer -- Ottawa lacks windows, is older, and trying to get in and out directly before or after class is a hassle as we share the building with the civil law students). There are more opportunities for international exchange at Osgoode. 

uOttawa has something called the SPI program, where you can do unpaid work for a firm for a certain number of hours and have it count toward your credits. I'm sure Osgoode has something similar. 

There are friendly and unfriendly classmates at both schools, but I found people more willing to hang around at uOttawa (perhaps because Osgoode is a commuter school). 

I found the transit at uOttawa to be sometimes unbearable, and there were homeless people everywhere. There were limited food options other than shawarma, pizza, and pub food unless you've got a car. 

Osgoode has very limited food options too. 

I would see if there's a firm in particular you want to work for, and try to speak to PI lawyers in both Ottawa and Toronto to learn more.

As others have said one school won't give you a leg up for PI, but each school might provide different advantages if you end up pivoting away from it (ie Osgoode and corporate law/success rate at big law firms, Ottawa and proximity to federal government). 

• Like 1