College transfer student (2 yr college + 2 yr university), eligiblity issue and GPA calculation

funnydudebluecat

funnydudebluecat
  • Applicant

I started my undergrad at a community college program (university transfer) for two years, then transferred to a university for another two years. I have got the degree from the unviersity. And later on, I got a master's degree. 

Just saw the "eligibility sections" for some of the schools: 

"Complete a minimum of 3 years of study (90 credits) at a recognized university in a program leading to a degree by June of the year of admission".

"In order to be admissible, all applicants, with the exception of mature students, must have completed the equivalent of three years of full-time undergraduate studies at a recognized university (equal to 90 credits), in any field, prior to beginning law school. Applicants are strongly encouraged to complete their undergraduate degree at a recognized university before beginning law school".

Should I even worry about my eligibility for those school? or I will be fine with my bachelor's degree?

Also, for Ontario Schools, do they count college transferring courses' grades into your GPA calculation?

Edited by funnydudebluecat

tobi
  • Law School Admit

Just some background: I'm someone who went to an Ontario college and applied to law schools this cycle. So, I have a pretty good idea of how the OLSAS application works for us with a college diploma.

My answer will only matter for Ontario law schools that you apply to: 

1. Yes, you should worry about your eligibility for those schools. I am not 100% sure you will be eligible just with your bachelor's degree that you acquired through this college transfer process.

You have to check your bachelor's credit/degree progress report and see if you got 90 credits from that university. You should email Osgoode (I'm assuming you got that information from the Osgoode website) and outline your situation in the email and ask if you are eligible to apply to their JD program. You can do the same for other schools that you are interested in applying to - they will be more than happy to give you clear information.

The situation I outlined in this post is because someone did not do 3 years of studying at a university - despite them getting a bachelor's degree:

2. No. It doesn't count our college grades to our OLSAS cGPA calculation provided that the program you were in during your college days were an Ontario college diploma/advanced diploma etc., If it was a university program that happened to just start at a college - then your grades from those years in college will be part of the calculation.

If my answers were unclear, send me a DM and I'm more than happy to clarify things and talk more about your situation.

• Like 1