Rejected 2024

TheWingerGuarantee

TheWingerGuarantee
  • Applicant

Hi all, 

Figured I would start this to give others more information. Stats: 3.7 B2, 3.3 CGPA. 153->154-> 161. Not super surprised given my stats, but I also had good Softs, great LOR's and am about to complete my Master's Degree. Happy to answer questions. 

Edited by TheWingerGurantee

hanky
  • Applicant

ah i am so sorry to hear this! 3.7 and a 161 are pretty solid! i didn't think that uofc took LOR's anymore though? 

4 minutes ago, TheWingerGurantee said:

Hi all, 

Figured I would start this to give others more information. Stats: 3.7 B2, 3.3 CGPA. 153->154-> 161. Not super surprised given my stats, but I also had good Softs, great LOR's and am about to complete my Master's Degree. Happy to answer questions. 

Edited by hanky
MEANT TO REPLY TO THEWINGERGURANTEE

TheWingerGuarantee
  • Applicant

Right, sorry, I ended up submitting to several schools, so I got mixed up. They did not take LORs.

And thanks! I have already gotten in elsewhere, so this stings less, especially since I was hoping to stay in Ontario. But good luck to you and everyone else! 

• Like 1

Scoob
  • Applicant

Yeah, I got an R yesterday too with similar stats.

L20: 3.8 LSAT:161 WE: 3yrs finance/insurance

Strong softs i'd say... CFP/RHU/LLQP

I'll prob try again next year with a better lsat.

warraeli
  • Law School Admit
2 hours ago, blue134 said:

R here too 

Stats: 3.33/170

is that CGPA or L2 

5abi
  • Applicant
7 hours ago, blue134 said:

R here too 

Stats: 3.33/170

wtf, how? Anybody grad experience?

JayDawg33
  • Applicant

Calgary seems to be all over the map and it makes no sense... someone on the law school admissions canada reddit apparently got in with a 3.71 and 157, yet some of you are rejected with much better stats and what appears to be good work experience. 

As someone who falls solidly in the middle I don't even know what to think for my chances. 

blue134
  • Applicant
12 hours ago, warraeli said:

is that CGPA or L2 

That is my cGPA. I am not entirely sure what my official L2 is cause I've only calculated it myself but according to that calculation, it's a 3.7

7 hours ago, 5abi said:

No grad experience, but I am an Ontario resident and I don't really have any ties to Alberta, which I have heard matters to UCal so maybe its that. 

TheWingerGuarantee
  • Applicant
8 hours ago, 5abi said:

Like blue134, I also have no ties to out west, but I am a semester away from completing my Master of Arts Degree. 🤷‍♂️ I have a Research position on my resume, and a year and a half of TA experience, but other than those it is just retail experience beyond my extra curriculars. I have taken the LSAT three times which likely didn't help my application, though they could have also just had a really competitive year. 

Moosehead
  • Applicant

I was the OP on what turned into a really long thread a couple of weeks ago on this same subject, after I got rejected at Calgary. My stats were L2: 3.71, LSAT 164, a not so great cGPA that I explained in my personal statement, an academic award from L2 in undergrad, two years of non-law work experience and some decent (but probably standard for most applicants) ECs. What I didn't have was any connection to Calgary or way to show a likelihood that I would practice there after graduation.

I learned a lot from what people posted in the other thread: every school has a different process that they go through at different times using differently weighted criteria, making it really hard to compare the process and decisions between schools. Calgary seems to be quite holistic and perhaps more competitive than in previous years, as many posters noted that it is now the go-to school in the west for business law. One poster felt the connection to Calgary was quite important, but I recall another poster who lived in Calgary, did undergrad there, worked in a law firm, and in a previous cycle got waitlisted at Calgary some weeks after getting an A from Osgoode. Calgary just seems a bit more unpredictable than other schools.

The self-assessment guide that they send with the R letter has some useful details in it, but it won't give you a specific reason as to why you got rejected. Everyone here seems like strong candidates to me and I'm sure will get As at other schools.  Good luck everyone!

• Like 1

jellydonuts123
  • Applicant
On 1/31/2024 at 10:28 AM, Moosehead said:

I was the OP on what turned into a really long thread a couple of weeks ago on this same subject, after I got rejected at Calgary. My stats were L2: 3.71, LSAT 164, a not so great cGPA that I explained in my personal statement, an academic award from L2 in undergrad, two years of non-law work experience and some decent (but probably standard for most applicants) ECs. What I didn't have was any connection to Calgary or way to show a likelihood that I would practice there after graduation.

I learned a lot from what people posted in the other thread: every school has a different process that they go through at different times using differently weighted criteria, making it really hard to compare the process and decisions between schools. Calgary seems to be quite holistic and perhaps more competitive than in previous years, as many posters noted that it is now the go-to school in the west for business law. One poster felt the connection to Calgary was quite important, but I recall another poster who lived in Calgary, did undergrad there, worked in a law firm, and in a previous cycle got waitlisted at Calgary some weeks after getting an A from Osgoode. Calgary just seems a bit more unpredictable than other schools.

The self-assessment guide that they send with the R letter has some useful details in it, but it won't give you a specific reason as to why you got rejected. Everyone here seems like strong candidates to me and I'm sure will get As at other schools.  Good luck everyone!

Anecdotally, I am from BC and was accepted without any mention of a connection to Calgary or my intention to practice in Calgary. I haven't heard of any mention from UofC's website or webinars that this is something they look for. 

• 3 weeks later...
Angel
  • Applicant

Rejected with a 3.99 GPA and a 152 😞 not suprised but still sad to be hearing it. 

B_Stone
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, Angel said:

Rejected with a 3.99 GPA and a 152 😞 not suprised but still sad to be hearing it. 

Hey, a 3.99 is fantastic! Take the time and spend the money to do some serious LSAT studying/course and get the LSAT up - you'll have plenty of good offers next year!

fc123
  • Applicant
7 hours ago, Angel said:

Sorry 😞 when did you get the R email/notif?

• 2 weeks later...
legallyblondie
  • Applicant

Rejected at Calgary on February 26th... Just saw on the portal.

CGPA 3.88, L2 3.98, LSAT 155. Large connection to Calgary, work in 2 national law firms, and tons of extracurriculars/volunteer experience. Only A so far is Ottawa. 

fischerprice
  • Applicant

Rejected Fed 28th

Very sad... This was my top choice.

CGPA 3.63, L2 3.72

LSAT 161

• Hugs 1

lolz
  • Applicant

my top choice, 

3.86 ish cgpa and L2

in last semester of undergrad

161 lsat

😞

• Hugs 1

Mickey Haller
  • Applicant

Rejected on February 28. 

L2: 3.97; LSAT: 159; Extensive softs and additional post-secondary credentials in a law-orientated field.  

Surprised, to say the least. 

hanky
  • Applicant

got the R today. no email. sucks as this was my first choice, but maybe i will apply again next year. 

LSAT: 158 (jan) 

L2: 3.8

ebbie
  • Applicant

Also got the R today. Not surprised, considering I bit it hard on the Jan LSAT. Got 151, lower than two years earlier at 156. I'm planning to write again in April, just paid for it. I'm not sure if that's over optimistic or what. My GPA is super messy, I'm guessing it's about a 3.4. Lots of diverse work experience. Will apply again (early) for 2025.

JayDawg33
  • Applicant

Rejected Feb 28 as well. Not even the least bit surprised looking at some of ya'lls much better stats. 

158 LSAT, 3.7ish GPA. A few years of project management experience. Not an Alberta resident. 

wordache
  • Applicant

Rejected yesterday. 3.97/4 CGPA (OLSAS calculation) and 158 LSAT. Very good softs and legal work experience. Ontario resident (putting this cause it seems to be a theme of the rejections).

canlawgirl
  • Law School Admit

Rejected this evening, March 1. Received an email that there was an update available in my Student Centre (UCalgary app portal).

L2 3.72/4, LSAT 157 with two other (lower) scores on record. Solid work experience and maybe slightly above average volunteer experience.