Very weird transcript. How will they calculate my GPA?

Scoob

Scoob
  • Applicant

I really can't make heads or tails of how USask would calculate my GPA. 

as per their website, "The Admissions Committee looks at your best two (2) full years undergraduate average. The best two years do not have to be consecutive, but you do need at least 24 credits in each of these years during the Fall and Winter sessions."

For example, I had a year where I had 8 classes equalling a 3.5 gpa in the Fall and 3 classes in the Winter equaling a 4.0 gpa. Does USask consider this to be a 3.75 gpa average for the year (3.5+4/2=3.75) or would they calculate the 11 classes as the average? (I also had 7 classes that summer but I see they don't calculate that.)

On a side note I saw a post on reddit that mentioned discretionary applicants are asessed later then the regular stream. Is this true?

Thanks!😀

Edited by Scoob
grammar

GoatDuck
  • Law Student

Not sure about the first question.

Discretionary applicants tend to be reviewed at the same time as the rest in the general application stream. If their application isn’t competitive under the general stream, then they’re reviewed again later in the cycle — April-May I think.

• Like 1

Dghoul
  • Applicant

It ought to be weighted average by credit, e.g. (3.5x8+4.0x3)/(8+3). Average of averages is not the real average.

Edited by Dghoul
  • Like 1