Reputation/Work Experience of Toronto Lit Boutiques

Litigator1

Litigator1
  • Lawyer

Hello, i'm a junior lawyer at a mid-size looking to get my foot in the door with a solid lit boutique. 

I was wondering if anyone can provide any insight into the reputation of some of the more well-known boutiques in Toronto: 

• Lenczner Slaght
  • Lax O'Sullivan
  • Polley Faith
  • Stockwoods
  • Crawley Mackewn
  • Babin Spry
  • Paliare Roland 
  • Teplitsky 
  • Adair Goldblatt 
  • Ross Nasseri

These are all firms I've heard about but just don't know much about, with the exception of Stockwoods - who I was across from on a file with a partner, and found them to be top-notch and extremely diligent.

Is the experience at these firms roughly the same and/or akin to mid-sized/big law lit departments? Do they tend to focus on more "high-end" work? Is it junior friendly environments, or is it better to make a jump to a boutique as a mid-level/senior? Do these firms tend to have an advantage in litigation because its their only focus? 

Thanks in advance. 

JohnnyCochrane68

Firms like Stockwoods have an advantage in litigation because they hire brilliant obsessive workaholic litigators

You will be "happy" in those environments if you share those traits - if you don't you will eventually leave

If you think you want to be a top flight litigator you should try to get in the door ASAP

There is no comparison to the experience or work that a "mid sized" firm will get

Some of the firms you mentioned just don't fit in that list - babin spry, ross nasseri, teplitsky. Crawley is niche. Paliare roland has more of a public law focus than any of those other firms. John Adair is very impressive but i have no idea about the rest of the firm

• Like 2

Litigator1
  • Lawyer
2 hours ago, JohnnyCochrane68 said:

Firms like Stockwoods have an advantage in litigation because they hire brilliant obsessive workaholic litigators

You will be "happy" in those environments if you share those traits - if you don't you will eventually leave

If you think you want to be a top flight litigator you should try to get in the door ASAP

There is no comparison to the experience or work that a "mid sized" firm will get

Some of the firms you mentioned just don't fit in that list - babin spry, ross nasseri, teplitsky. Crawley is niche. Paliare roland has more of a public law focus than any of those other firms. John Adair is very impressive but i have no idea about the rest of the firm

Thanks so much - I appreciate it. 

Just to touch on the last part. Would the firms that don't fit the list still be worthwhile to developing skills and a good practice? Or would mid-sized to large firms provide an equal or better environment/opportunities? If so, maybe i'll just stay put. 

JohnnyCochrane68

I think every firm on your list is reputable and will train you as a litigator if that's what you want - whether it makes sense to move is dependent on what you're doing where you are, if there is an attainable path to more seniority and business, the kind of work you want to do, the people who give you work right now and if they're staying vs. the people you'd be working for at the next firm, and the lifestyle you want. 

Btw for what it's worth i would never go to any of those top firms because i like being able to see my partner and child when they're awake

• Like 1